cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

From small acorns...

TimBrotherhood
1-Newbie

From small acorns...

Seeing a picture of 30 St Mary Axe, widely known as The Gerkin building in London, i wondered how the frame could be modelled in PTC Creo.

A few minutes of observation followed by some fiddling came up with right and left handed helical sweeps patterned around a common axis. A revolved ring connects the ends at the bottom. See if you can come up with another method of modelling the frame.

The PTC Creo model is attached. Does anyone with a 3D printer fancy printing one and posting a picture?

Gherkin_building.jpg  Heical_acorn.png

6 REPLIES 6

Very nice Tim.  An interesting application of the Helix featuring command.

Bob Booth

Hi Tim,

and Bob

challenge accepted and printed,Scaled down a bit for quick print but still looks good, very impressive, thanks129.JPG

Jeremy

Well done Jeremy,

Bob Booth

Wow! that was fast and for once lives up to the term 'Rapid Prototyping'.

Out of interest, what was the material cost?

Thanks for going to the trouble and posting the picture.

Hi Tim

material cost on this was 12p, as I said I scaled it down for a very quick print, so material wise it was negligible. Even the full size only works out at just under a pound.

Jeremy

ps. if you would like I can send you a copy

I've had an Ultimaker 2 3D printer on loan for a couple of weeks and decided to try this model.  The build time was just over two hours and it was fascinating to see the spiral arms growing without any support!

IMG_0196.JPG

Video Link : 5853

I am very impressed with the Ultimaker 2, 3D printer and Cura slicing software. Both are very easy to set up and get printing. In two weeks of almost continuous printing the only problem has been a blocked nozzle. This was easily sorted using the clear online guides and a quick call to their tech support. A high quality product and excellent support.

Top Tags