cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Pro-E Beginner: How to save an assembly & graphics issue

Doug_H
1-Newbie

Pro-E Beginner: How to save an assembly & graphics issue

I am a new user of Pro E Wildfire 5.0 ( US FIRST - FTC Robotics ) and trying to learn the software so I can help get my students up and running and designing a robot.

Two problems: First is I can't seem to save or rather, when I open a saved file ( assembly ) it says that it failed to regenerate. I am using parts from the 2009 Kit of Parts that I downloaded last year but never used. Not sure if its related or not - but I am not doing something correct on this simple command.

2nd problem: If i bring in another part into my assembly and I try to pre-select a surface/feature - I have some sort of graphics glitch. Once I pick the first feature to align/insert etc, I lose the solid model graphics and see a confusing history of wireframes. I need to pan/rotate the assembly in order to see the solid model again and determine where the real wireframe is vs some history version. I am still in solid model format not hidden line or wireframe so I know the wireframe look is some sort of forced error/graphics glitch. I am using windows 7 with vista 64 bit, not sure if i need to update settings, graphics driver, or ??.

Pro-E looks awesome but these simple items are preventing me from going forward.

Appreciate any help.

1 REPLY 1

Doug,

Problem 1: A Pro/E assembly knows the parts that are included in it, however, it does not know their location. It sounds to me that you have used components in your assembly however, those components are not in the same folder as your assembly. Below are three options:

1. Put the components you are using in the same folder as your assembly
  2. Use a search path in your config.pro file to define where Pro/E can find those files. Tools> Options. Add the option “search_path” and then Browse to the location (I assume it is a KOP folder someplace).
  3. If you use Windchill to manage your files, a checked in assembly will know what models are used in it and it will also manage their location.

I would also suggest you also take a look at http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/101458/en/FIRST_PTC_HOW.pdf . The “Module 1 – The Interface and Basic Concepts” section talks a little about file management.

Problem 2: Definitely update your graphics driver, this should fix it for you. Little tip, if you do have graphics issues like that a quick roll-in and roll-out on the middle mouse scroll wheel will usually fix it.

Regards,

Adam

Announcements
Top Tags