cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Pro/E will not save system settings.

ptc-2876514
1-Newbie

Pro/E will not save system settings.

I spent a half hour or so getting my display settings and other settings the way I wanted them in Pro/E (v4). Things like background color, datum planes visible while rotating, environment properties, don't switch to ortho view while sketching, and so forth. Then I saved the file, shut down Pro/E, and the next time I launched Pro/E it had reverted to it's "default" states. How do I get it to save my preferences so I don't have to go through that hassle every time I want to work on a file? Also, the working folder appears to be unchangable. edit: Looks like it doesn't save any kind of setting. When I relaunch Pro/E there is nothing on the "recent files" menu option even though I'd opened several. It doesn't remember my last used working folder between sessions. Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

You will want to look at config.pro options. If you don't have a config.pro file you can create one from the Tools>Options dialog box and save to your startup directory. Make sure the file is named config.pro for it to load automatically (be aware that there are three locations config.pro files are loaded from automatically). The option spin_with_part_entities controls whether datums show while spinning the part, sketcher_starts_in_2d controls whether the sketcher environement orients to a 2d view, system colors can be controlled by config.pro options or a system colors file that is loaded with the system_colors_file option. The icon menus are controlled by a config.win file. Model tree settings are controlled with a tree.cfg file and loaded with the config.pro option mdl_tree_cfg_file. You should be able to set the working directory by selecting a folder, right mouse click, and select Set Working Directory from the list. To see what config.pro options are available in the Tools>Options dialog box select current session from the dropdown and uncheck Show only options loaded form file. You can also find the config.pro options in the help files for the specific functional areas and there is a PDF of config.pro options in the Pro\Enginner Product Support Centers.

Is there a reason these files didn't get set up properly at install? And what exactly is a "Startup Directory"? Are you talking about the working directory? That's one of the things that's not being saved so what good would it do to put it there?

Scott, The "startup" or "start-in" folder is the location in which Pro/E starts. If you check the properties of your Pro/E start icon, it will show this location as "Start in". Typically, this is your "My Documents" folder. Out of the box, Pro/E has a default set of options and display configurations that it uses. Users can then configure Pro/E differently by changing and saving both config.pro and config.win options. If you then save those files in your "start-in" folder, Pro/E will read the options each time Pro/E starts. Most preferences are configured using the config.pro file which can be viewed and edited by clicking Tools> Options. Toolbars, window sizes, and custom icons are edited using the config.win file. It can be edited and saved using Tools> Customize Screen. To permanently save different system colors, make the changes using View> Display Settings> System Colors and then save the file "syscol.scl" to your start-in folder. Then use the config.pro option "system_color_file" to point to this file. If you are only changing your background color, you can use the config.pro option "system_background_color 0 0 49" where in this example, "0 0 49" defines 0 red, 0 green, and 49% blue". Hope this helps. Regards, Adam PTC Education Programs
Top Tags