cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Upload\Checkin errors from Creo to Windchill

pladuca
1-Newbie

Upload\Checkin errors from Creo to Windchill

Are there incompatibilities with Windchill and IE 10? It is working sometimes... and then not other times. We can access and files in Windchill from Creo. But the activity of uploading or checkin work some times and not other times. We have Google Chrome on the PC... if there is an option to define that as the browser CREO uses. Attached is view where we were able to check in 3 of 5 parts\assemblies. We are able to open the assemblies in the work space. Attached are some screen views of the situation with some of the parts\assemblies uploaded... and some not. I tried setting the windows_browser_type = mozilla_based_browser... and this option does not work with IE 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:pladuca)

Peter, you are correct. When it comes to CAD Data management with the FIRST Windchill server, Internet Explorer 10.0+ is not supported. For a consistent experience, I would strongly suggest running IE 9 on your client machines if at all possible. I understand there are some cases where this is not possible, such as Windows 8.

At PTC, we are doing everything we can to upgrade this server to the latest version of Windchill that supports IE 10. Until this time, the only option available to you other than an IE downgrade is the config.pro option you mentioned, windows_browser_type. When set to mozilla_based_browser, the Creo embedded browser will use mozillla rather than IE.

There is no option to use Chrome as the embedded browser in Creo.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Peter, you are correct. When it comes to CAD Data management with the FIRST Windchill server, Internet Explorer 10.0+ is not supported. For a consistent experience, I would strongly suggest running IE 9 on your client machines if at all possible. I understand there are some cases where this is not possible, such as Windows 8.

At PTC, we are doing everything we can to upgrade this server to the latest version of Windchill that supports IE 10. Until this time, the only option available to you other than an IE downgrade is the config.pro option you mentioned, windows_browser_type. When set to mozilla_based_browser, the Creo embedded browser will use mozillla rather than IE.

There is no option to use Chrome as the embedded browser in Creo.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Can you give a little more explanation around what is being depicted in your screen shots and what commands you used to get to these points?

In the first image, you are showing a workspace with three objects checked into Windchill and 2 new ones. In the second image, you are attempting to edit the attributes of all 5 items at once and the three checked in items are flagged as inelligible for attribute changes becuase they are checked in and do not have any attributes defined which are available for modification. The two new items allow you to change the folder location as an attribute, only becuase they are new.

Neither of these screen shots are from an attempt to check in. I'm assuming you should be able to check in the two new objects if you pick the two of them and pick the check in button.

pladuca
1-Newbie

We were trying to upload the 5 objects and check them in. We tried them as a group several times... and also individually. I don't think I did anything different... but on some of the attempts trying to checkin one object at a time... Windchill accepted the checkin. That is how 3 of the 5 objects were checked in. The last 2 objects we kept trying... and did not succeed in checking them in. We did try several times to pick just the 2 items not yet checked in... and check them in. The system would think about and then not make any changes. My understanding from the above email thread is that we are running into a incompatibility with IE v10.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Yes, let me know if you can try this on a Win7 machine running IE9. If it works using the same methods you've been using, then we know its a compatibility issue with IE10. If its still not working for you, I would suggest moving this discussion over to the Academic Support community and creating a short video of what you're doing in Creo. If you don't have a screen capture tool, check out Jing.

pladuca
1-Newbie

Thanks for the above response. Add Team 3170 to your list of teams impacted by FIRST Windchill not being at a software version level that IE 10 is compatible to work with. Interestingly... we do have one system with IE 11 loaded and the mozilla option selected for the browser... and this configuration is working. The IE 11 PC is a home PC. All of the school PC's are IE 10. We will likely need to manage CAD files on Flash drives in the interim... since the school does not allow write accessible shared folders for students. Hopefully Windchill can be patched to work with IE 10 in the near future. This would help our team to teach the team how to file share within Windchill and Creo. I will look into the options of firefox and downgrading IE. I am pretty sure the school will push back on that since... for support reasons... they maintain a single standard config for all PC's... so a change to one PC means a change to all PC's in the computer lab. Thanks for the quick responses and assistance.

Top Tags