Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

Hello fellow MathCad users,

Is it possible to display the numerical value of variables in a line of calculations. For example if I was to calculate the strength of a beam. I want the calculations to look like the following:

Depth of beam:                D = 300mm

Bredth of beam:               B = 125mm

Section modulus:             Z = 1/6 * B * D^2 = 1/6 * 125mm * 300mm^2 = 1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3

Bending strength:             fb = 38 MPa

Strength reduction:          phi=  0.8

Loading duration factor:    k = 0.8 

Bending strength:            Mn = phi*k*fb*Z = 0.8*0.8*38MPa*1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3 = 57 kNm

FYI I have MathCad 15 and MathCad Prime 3.0.

I appreciate any feedback.

Liam

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

Liam Strange wrote:

Hello fellow MathCad users,

Is it possible to display the numerical value of variables in a line of calculations. For example if I was to calculate the strength of a beam. I want the calculations to look like the following:

Depth of beam:                D = 300mm

Bredth of beam:               B = 125mm

Section modulus:             Z = 1/6 * B * D^2 = 1/6 * 125mm * 300mm^2 = 1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3

Bending strength:             fb = 38 MPa

Strength reduction:          phi=  0.8

Loading duration factor:    k = 0.8

Bending strength:            Mn = phi*k*fb*Z = 0.8*0.8*38MPa*1.875 x 10 ^6 mm3 = 57 kNm

FYI I have MathCad 15 and MathCad Prime 3.0.

I appreciate any feedback.

Liam

Kind of.  Almost.  Use the symbolic keyword "explicit" ... I've checked and although it's x-rated it will show numbers even if they're under 18.

Remember that the symbolic processor is not unit-aware, which is why some of the results look a bit strange.  In fact, I'm intrigued as to how it equated cubic metres to litres ...

Stuart

Re: Displaying numerical value of symbolic variables

Hey Stuart,

Thank you for your reply! It was much appreciated. This is exactly what I wanted. Although this feature is not intuitively obvious.

Announcements