cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

I am getting error as this value must be a scalar in polyroots function

vveeran
4-Participant

I am getting error as this value must be a scalar in polyroots function

Hi all,

I am getting error as 'This value must be a scalar

in polyroots function'.

Please can anyone help me.

I attached my mathcad code below.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:vveeran)

Which version and maintenance release of Mathcad are you using?

Maybe the problem is due to a bug in an older version which already is fixed?

Do you get the error already in the last line of your sheet when you just define the function r or when you try to evaluate it via r(10)=

I also experience no problem in evaluating your function r (Mathcad 15, M045).

When calculating your various coefficients a(i), b(i), etc. every call evaluates the solve blocks again and again. This could be speeded up significantly by creating a function which calls the solve blocks just once and then calculates and returns ALL of the necessary coefficients in a vector.

Doing so would be quite some work in rewriting the sheet but probably worth the time spent.

Her a small example - the function I1(i): Your version of this function calls the solve block for f three times while the version below calls it only once (and we don't need the function x1(i) and x2(i) you defined above anymore):

using this new function I1 and a similar one for I2 already cuts the time to calculate r to one third and the whole sheet could be speeded up much, much more, I guess.

Nevertheless you experience that strange error. So lets try some changes (I am just poking around in the dark):

What do you get when you evaluate B(10)=? Do you get

If yes, try to reformulate your function r

Do you get the result or do you still experience that error?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi vetri,

It seems to me that there are no problems. It only takes a long time to compute ..

test eg vetri veeran.jpg

Greetings

Franc

vveeran
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Dear Franc,

Thank you for your reply.

But, for me I am getting the same error as 'This  value must be a scalar'

Could you please attach your code.

Thanks.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

The polynomial is of the third degree, so we have three roots (all real or one real and two c.c.) for each i value. I have erroneously traced the root vector module. To trace the module of each root, varying i, it takes a long time.

test eg vetri veeran 1.jpg

test eg vetri veeran 2.jpg

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:-MFra-)

F.M. wrote:

The polynomial is of the third degree, so we have three roots (all real or one real and two c.c.) for each i value. I have erroneously traced the root vector module. To trace the module of each root, varying i, it takes a long time.

Try the version here

Solved: Re: I am getting error as this value must be a sca... - PTC Community

for a speed boost 😉

vlehner
13-Aquamarine

Hi Vetri,

I'm getting no errors as well.

And yes, as Frank said: It takes a lot of time for computing.

Can you simplify or reduce your equations?

Greetings, Volker

Volker
Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Which version and maintenance release of Mathcad are you using?

Maybe the problem is due to a bug in an older version which already is fixed?

Do you get the error already in the last line of your sheet when you just define the function r or when you try to evaluate it via r(10)=

I also experience no problem in evaluating your function r (Mathcad 15, M045).

When calculating your various coefficients a(i), b(i), etc. every call evaluates the solve blocks again and again. This could be speeded up significantly by creating a function which calls the solve blocks just once and then calculates and returns ALL of the necessary coefficients in a vector.

Doing so would be quite some work in rewriting the sheet but probably worth the time spent.

Her a small example - the function I1(i): Your version of this function calls the solve block for f three times while the version below calls it only once (and we don't need the function x1(i) and x2(i) you defined above anymore):

using this new function I1 and a similar one for I2 already cuts the time to calculate r to one third and the whole sheet could be speeded up much, much more, I guess.

Nevertheless you experience that strange error. So lets try some changes (I am just poking around in the dark):

What do you get when you evaluate B(10)=? Do you get

If yes, try to reformulate your function r

Do you get the result or do you still experience that error?

Werner_E
25-Diamond I
(To:Werner_E)

Here is a sheet where i have speeded up the second solve block which called the first one over an over again and was one main reason for the slow claculation.

The evaluation of r is now accelerated by a factor between 100 and 200 and there is still great potential for further improvements, once your problem with the polyroot function is solved.

vveeran
4-Participant

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Werner Exinger‌, As you mentioned in your reply,

I tried for B(10) and I got the same result as you got,

But, when I try to reformulate 'r' as you mentioned in the second line,

I experience the same type of error.

I am using mathcad 15.

Thanks.

PS.

Could you please attach the code for this,

https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-492393-117216/pastedImage_3.png

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

> Could you please attach the code for this,

Why? There is nothing special about it and easily typed in.

If I understand your answer right you already tried it without success.

Furthermore that code is included in my second answer (I used co instead of coeff out of laziness.

vveeran
4-Participant

Dear Werner Exinger‌,

I opened several mathcad programs.

So, due to that I got that type of error.

I closed all the mathcad program and I restarted Mathcad

again, then I found that there is no such type of error.

Thanks again and all for your valuable comments.

Werner_E
25-Diamond I

Glad you found such an easy solution to your problem!

Announcements

Top Tags