cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MathCAD 5.0 install problem

noah-maine
1-Newbie

MathCAD 5.0 install problem

I have been trying to install MathCAD Express for quite some time now. The installer downloads and installs Diagnostic Tools just fine, but the PTC MathCAD prime gives a download error of, "Download Error: Please check the network connection and start the installation again."

I hope someone can help; MathCAD is required for several of my classes!

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16

We have seen so often reports of installation problems with Prime here in the forum.

Maybe PTC knows that Prime is just a mediocre program (to be polite) and came to the wise conclusion that it should not be installed.

Seriously - you sure should contact PTC support and make this their problem.

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

I'm having the same problem.  I'm trying to go back to V15 and can't get that working either.

Your post is a couple days old; did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Mark

I am having the same issue. I use Mathcad for school and installed a new hard drive into my computer. Now, I cannot get the program. PTC, PLEASE HELP!!!

PTC, PLEASE HELP!!!

PTC won't listen to posts in this Forum. This is a user driven forum dealing mainly with the usage of the software.

For installation problems (and there seem to be a lot of them when I look at all the posts here) you definitely should contact PTC support (I know, that can be hard as "support" isn't something PTC is famous for in a positive sense) and bring it to their attention. Maybe with a lot of luck they will manage to put their act together one day.

Generally its a good advice to make a back up of the license file (usually license.dat somewhere in the program directory) you get when you install the software and keep it in a safe place. In case you have to reinstall the software, change the hard drive, etc. you should be able to install Mathcad, point the license manager to the formerly saved license file and are up and running.

Changing the hard drive should not affect the license as the license usually is bound to the MAC address of your NIC (network interface card) - either wired or wireless.

So the NICs active when you installed Mathcad should also be active when you use Mathcad (at least that applies to the one NIC which Mathcad choses to be the "primary" one).

PTC has a help number:  877-275-4782

So far, I haven't been able to reach a person.  The automated system seems to require information that, as a student user, you won't have.  If you find a way to navigate successfully through the system, please post it here - it would be very helpful to the rest of us having install problems.

They have an email address (learning@ptc.com) that claims to have one day response.  I just submitted an email with screen shots.  Not sure if they will respond, but I live in hope.  If they actually do, I'll post something.

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:mfrench)

Follow Up:

The email address learning@ptc.com did actually work.  I was contacted by a tech support person who did the install remotely.  The process was very different than the one in the PTC instructions.  Hard to think that I could have done this on my own.

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks!

mfrench
12-Amethyst
(To:noah-maine)

I'm having the same problem.  I'm trying to go back to V15 and can't get that working either.

Your post is a couple days old; did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Mark

P.S.  I mistakenly replied to a reply rather than the original post.  My apologies for the duplicate.

sk�ck
4-Participant
(To:noah-maine)

Hello,

Today, I bought mathcad prime 5.0 (I have already installed mathcad prime 4.0) and of course... I have the same problem. Is there now a solution? Or have the support now answered how to get it work?

I hope they find a solution soon, because I want the program and further, I have paid for it.

Yours Simon

sk�ck
4-Participant
(To:sk�ck)

Ok, so I have installed the free version from another site (chip) and activated the license afterwards. Everything worked perfectly! But I don't know why ptc can't provide a working installation file...

Yours Simon

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Can you explain what " another site (chip)" is? Are you referring to a web site (please provide the link), or is it something else...

Luc

sk�ck
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Yes of course. This is a german website called chip. It offers a lot of free downloads for many programs, also for PTC Mathcad. And of course it is a complete legal website!

But I dont know if this works for everybody. It would be great if PTC can solve the problem insteed of searching for other solutions.

Here is the link to the website:

https://www.chip.de/downloads/Mathcad-Prime_59235409.html

After the installation, I activated the license with the normal activating process.

I hope this helps.

Simon

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Thanks!
mfrench
12-Amethyst

I had the same problem.  I bought an academic license and couldn't install Prime 5.  V15 eventually installed, though it took a few tries (flaky license server?).  I sent an email to learning@ptc.com and was contacted by one of their help people.  The problem was solved quickly once we made contact.  We did a Webex and he took control of my keyboard.

The install process was very different from the one presented in the instructions from PTC.  Not sure why PTC keeps having this problem.

OK, I have figured it out. So when you get to the application selection phase of the installer, change the save location to the C: folder instead of C: -> program files -> PTC. From there it should download and install fine. May have to try 2 or three times before it works. 

Top Tags