cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Old Mathcad MCS image files

Lou5
7-Bedrock

Old Mathcad MCS image files

How can I retrieve MCS image files created in a very old version of Mathcad? I don't have the old version of Mathcad.

15 REPLIES 15
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Lou5)

I've been working with Mathcad for a very long time, and I don't even know what an "MCS image file" is.

MCS was a proprietary vector graphics format. It was primarily used to import files in HPGL format (a Hewlett Packard language for plotter output). Mathcad 3.1 and 4.0 came with a converter (mctrans.exe) for HPG or PLT --> MCS, as long as the HPGL file would only use one of supported six commands (LB,PA,PD,PR,PU,SP). Beginning with Mathad 5 the clipboard had to be used to insert plot files.

Unfortunately I don't know of any graphics program capable of reading MCS files and also have no documentation of the file format itself. But given that mctrans only supported 6 HPGL commands it may be possible to encypher the MCS format if you have a couple of files.

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

MSC - Mathcad Calculation Server?

No, it was a proprietary vector graphics format.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Does it actually have anything to do with Mathcad though?

Richard Jackson wrote:

Does it actually have anything to do with Mathcad though?

Yes, see above.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't remember it at all.

Richard Jackson wrote:

I don't remember it at all.

Neither did I. But my library does 😉 I just looked up the information in a book about MC 3.1 for Win and another one dealing with MC5.0&PLUS 5.0. I knew I would have a use for those books one day 🙂

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

LOL! And I thought I was a pack rat! I still have a book on Algol 60. I'll mail it to you if you like

Good to see that I'm not alone 😉

I guess if I dig a bit deeper I may find something on Algol on my own - may be 68 though, not sure.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I wrote a lot of code in Algol 60, but not by choice. I inherited a very large amount of legacy code (so I'm not quite as old as "Algol 60" might imply!), and it was just a better option than porting everything to C. I wrote some stuff in Algol 68 too, which was a vastly superior language to Algol 60.

I never did much in Algol and was very soon exposed to (hold it!) Pascal. It was only later when I became familiar with C. Only legacy code I had to deal with was Fortran - fortunately not often as I hated it.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I wote stuff in Fortran IV and Forthan 77. Hated both of them. Still do. I wrote a very small amount in Pascal. It's actually kind of similar to Algol 68.

yes, but without the quotes, which makes a big difference!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You may find something useful in:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/189615#189615

Success!

Luc

Top Tags