cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Position of Pendulum

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Position of Pendulum

I have a velocity of a pendulum - see please the attach Mathcad 15

How can I calculate the position x(t)-y(t) by help of integral?

Thanks!

PS

What is a deferens between English speed and velocity?

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

P.S.

Speed can be: How fast things move, how fast time progresses, a drug.

Velocity is only: How fast things move.

Luc

Speed is a scalar quantity.

Velocity is a vector quantity.  Its magnitude is speed, but it also has a direction.

Alan

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

I'm afraid you've put too much (initial) potential energy into your system. With theta at 180 deg, the mass is at x=0 and y=L, straight above the lowest point it can reach (x=0, y=-L). If on a rope, when let go, it will drop straight downwards , and never come up again because there's no horizontal kinetic energy. If on a stick, it will stay put.

You may want to set the initial value of theta to + or -90 deg....

LucMeekes_1-1588756569331.png

Success!
Luc

It is not tread - it is a weightless hard link (a rod).

The question is - can we create functions x(t) and y(t) having vx and vy as functions not time but an angle. By help an integration!

The picture bellow - the other solution this problem thru ODEs solution

VelPis.png

Hello Valery,

to the best of my knowledge: speed refers to the magnitude of the velocity vector and is therefore a scalar; e.g. a car has a top speed of 200 km/h. No need to say where it is going. But they can be used interchangeably in conversations.

Raiko

A pendulum is a body suspended from a fixed support so that it swings freely back and forth under the influence of gravity. When a pendulum is displaced sideways from its resting, equilibrium position, it is subject to a restoring force due to gravity that will accelerate it back toward the equilibrium position mcdvoice

Thanks for the information from a school handbook!

Top Tags