cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Second order differential equation, Odesolve: "Unknown error: Ode%_function%_illegal%_context"

fvlaar
1-Newbie

Second order differential equation, Odesolve: "Unknown error: Ode%_function%_illegal%_context"

Hey,

When I tried to solve a second order differential equation with odesolve I get the above mentioned error. First order ode's work fine. Odesolve problem.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndyWesterman
4-Participant
(To:fvlaar)

Something like this?

The 2nd order differential equation can be written as the d/dt style, but I think that the initial condition needs to be in the x' format for prime to understand.

Probably explains why the 1st order ode worked as you don't need the initial condition for the differential term.

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AndyWesterman
4-Participant

Something like this?

The 2nd order differential equation can be written as the d/dt style, but I think that the initial condition needs to be in the x' format for prime to understand.

Probably explains why the 1st order ode worked as you don't need the initial condition for the differential term.

Regards

Andy

Thank you very much! this worked!

Because mathcad did nog recognize the error I had no idea.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Using some advanced techniques (A classical math problem: differential equations) I've determined that the solution to your DE, for s=2, is:

Maybe this helps.

Luc

Top Tags