cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Export employee privileges from Account Management

SBELL_Conti
5-Regular Member

Export employee privileges from Account Management

I need the ability to export an Excel based view that can be easily filtered based on the users permissions from PTC account management.

Current methods allow you to export with a comma separated field but this cannot be split easily. 

Example:  

ptccswebaccess
PtcCsMaintVerified, PtcCsPrivSftUpdAccess, PtcCsPrivSftUpdAddress, PtcCsPrivLogCalls, PtcCsPrivLmLicensing, PtcCsPrivLmReporting
PtcCsMaintVerified, PtcCsPrivSftUpdAccess, PtcCsPrivSftUpdAddress, PtcCsPrivLogCalls, PtcCsPrivLmLicensing, PtcCsPrivLmReporting
PtcCsMaintVerified, PtcCsPrivLogCalls

We need an export similar to the "Manage Employee Privileges" .   See view attached.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/common/account/secure/wamMultiEdit.jsp

18 REPLIES 18

Hi @SBELL_Conti

Not quite as clean as an export option, but the table in the WAMMultiEdit page is copy-pasteable into Excel, resulting in something like this: 

PeterCase_0-1621454684042.png

I needed to change the background colour of the top row to make the white text appear visible, but as the table isn't paginated you should be able to bring over all your user / permission set data. 

We'll soon start to modernize identity management systems and associated tools at PTC, and improvement of Online Supervisor capabilities is one of the line items. I'll add an improved / more readable permissions export to that list.    

Best regards, 

Peter.

SBELL_Conti
5-Regular Member
(To:PeterCase)

I have attempted the copy/paste option from the website to XLS but with >5000 users the amount of repair and confirmation was to much to handle.  I am hoping the modernization you propose will fix the problem for me.  Any idea of a timeline?

Hi @SBELL_Conti 

We don't have a current timeline for these improvements, as they are closely tied to a longer term strategy for identity management at PTC.
To keep things brief, we're unifying and modernizing our identity provider systems to support more than just website access, as we introduce more SaaS / Cloud-based products, and associated services.
While this brings complexity, we want to make this manageable for our accounts - possibly with role-based access.

I'll respond privately with an export of your current users and permissions, as I fully sympathise with your point about how cumbersome a copy-paste is with such a large number of users.

Thanks, 

Peter.

SBELL_Conti
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the export.

Is there any way I can monitor progress that you are making.  I understand it takes time and just want to make sure I am aware when new options become available.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please, i am also Supervisor of a larger customer with more than 2000 PTC Web Accounts and this HTML based table is not really usable for most actions and there is no export function to get out all the data in an usable way to work with it later on.

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:Anonymous)

Hi RichardK,

I'm a UX designer with PTC, and working on improving the account management features - could you elaborate on what "most actions" are, and what you would use an export of this data for?

Kind regards,

YDY

Anonymous
Not applicable
(To:yiyiyang)

Some missing actions are:

- Filtering for specific access rights (which users has set/unset check boxes to get specific access rights)

- Filtering for specific user attributes like last name, first name, email address including wildcards

- Counting of all listed accounts (including results of filtering or searching)

- Export/SaveAs function of such filtered/searched results or of all accounts to EXCEL in an usable way

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:Anonymous)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the elaboration.

What is the purpose of the list of users/accounts once you have been able to filter them? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In general, management of all accounts from our company!

Examples are:

- By filtering/searching we can have a better control and overview about all our more than 2000 accounts

- PTC create new accounts when doing bulk uploads of new PLMS users but they have not assigned any access rights (PTC is not allowed to do that) and we must find them and assign the correct access rights by hand

- We do change our company email address and that has direct impact to accounts because email address is also username and we must managed all them

Note: Until now we must ask our TSAM for support to generate such lists and send them to us.

Peter,

I too have a need for the export capability plus we also have thousands of users. I can get by with the copy method for now but how did you convert the 'blanks' to 'N' and 'checkmarks' to 'Y' when pasting into Excel?

Thank you, -ken

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-121823)

Hi Ken,

I'm a UX designer with PTC, and working on improving the account management features - could you elaborate on what you would use an export of this data for?

Kind regards,

YDY

Hi YDY,

We would use it for account cleanup to help identify active / ex-employees and their roles. For a small company your current system is probably fine but for a larger company with hundreds or thousands of PTC users not being able to export the data to manipulate in a spreadsheet such as Excel is quite cumbersome.

Thank you,

-ken

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-121823)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response and elaboration.

Forgive me for what might seem like a stupid question, but what would you do once you have a clarified list of active/ex-employees and their roles? What does "account cleanup" mean?

Kind regards,

YDY

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:SBELL_Conti)

Hi Sbell,

I'm a UX designer with PTC, and working on improving the account management features - could you elaborate on what you would use an export of this data for?

Kind regards,

YDY

SBELL_Conti
5-Regular Member

Hello,

I think you have the list from those that also responded.  I would only add if import also becomes available then all account control would be managed via XLS.  Filter to what you want to accomplish, apply the change and import back.  

Scott

yiyiyang
5-Regular Member
(To:SBELL_Conti)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response.

I believe you're the first to mention account control - what is the use case in which you would be doing account control via XLS? (I know the current Account Management page/table is limiting, but I would like to hear from you, the actual users, about the use case you're actually experiencing.)

Kind regards,

YDY

SBELL_Conti
5-Regular Member

Hello,

I just realized in reviewing this topic that I did not answer your question.  Account control is simply the ability to turn on and off the Account Management options found in the image below but would enhance this option to include disable/remove account, update account etc.  

SBELL_Conti_0-1632926087548.png

I hope this makes since.

Scott

Top Tags