cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Release Advisor Frustrations

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Release Advisor Frustrations

I'm finding the new 'Release Matrix' frustrating.

1.  It's not obvious how to get to the 'Release Matrix'.  While there is a menu item for 'Release Advisor', there is nothing for the 'Release Matrix'.  It is possible to end up at the release matrix from the product calendar, but I'm not sure this is the intended path or even the best path.  How would someone know to go to the calendar first in order to end up at the release matrix?

TomU_1-1655223550017.png

2.  It's not obvious that the 'Release Matrix' is different from the 'Release Advisor' since the 'Release Matrix' page includes the words 'Release Advisor' in the URL.  Naturally one wants to start from the release advisor instead, and this is reinforced by the ability to jump from the release advisor directly to a release matrix, but release advisor doesn't play nice if you're not trying to change versions.

TomU_0-1655223388983.png

3.  The release matrix for Windchill 12.1.0.2 does not include any mention of Creo Parametric 9.0 even though it was released on the exact same day. (April 20th).

TomU_3-1655224268660.png

TomU_2-1655224203532.png

4.  Even stranger, Creo View Adapters 9.0 is listed as fully compatible, even though it was released almost 2 months after Windchill 12.1.0.2. 

TomU_4-1655224371107.png

TomU_5-1655224727505.png

5.  By the way, Release Advisor is missing Windows 11 from the Client OS list and Windows Server 2022 from the Server OS list.

TomU_8-1655225192115.png

I really think there needs to be a more direct route to get to the Release Matrix without needing to navigate through the product calendar.  Maybe something similar to how the 'Reference Documents' filter works:

TomU_9-1655225380614.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hlancey
8-Gravel
(To:TomU)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback - yes I will add a message to the tool about viewing the matrix (and can link to a support article that explains). 

For the OS, the page is asking you to enter the OS you are currently using:

hlancey_0-1655825161195.png

Once you have selected a target upgrade version of Windchill, the tool will tell you if you need to update your OS:

hlancey_1-1655825303151.png

In this example you can see the user input they are currently on Windchill 11.1.0.0 and using Windows 7 (client OS). The tool is suggesting they upgrade to 12.0.2.6 and you can see from the OS table that Windows 7 will not be compatible, they will need to use Windows 10. 

The tool is based purely off what is supported for each release and recommends the highest version of a product you can upgrade directly to. There is currently no feature that allows a user to input something like "I want to upgrade from Windchill 11.1 to a Windchill version that supports Windows 10". 

Hopefully this helps - happy to answer anymore questions you have.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hlancey
8-Gravel

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback - I will try to address all the points you raised in order.

1. If someone is looking for information about a single release (release/support dates, release matrix, etc.) the expected path is that they would go to the Product Calendar. 

2. As you have pointed out Release Advisor is meant to be a tool for planning an upgrade between versions, and this is the way the tool is designed. However, if a user is just interested in getting a release matrix for a specific version of a product from Release Advisor, they could follow the following steps:

1. Enter the product that they are looking for the release matrix for, and select "Next"

hlancey_0-1655306431256.png

1. On the next page, you will see a link to the release matrix listed in the top "primary product" pane:

hlancey_1-1655306536071.png

3&4. My team does not manage any of the compatibility information between products but I have updated the Creo/Windchill teams about these questions.

5. The only OS that will show in those drop down menus are the ones compatible with the product you have selected. For Windchill 12.1.0.2 this appears to be Windows 10 and MacOS 10.15. For server side OS they support Windows 2019 & 2016.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:hlancey)

@hlancey,

Thanks for the reply.  A couple of comments...

If someone is looking for information about a single release (release/support dates, release matrix, etc.) the expected path is that they would go to the Product Calendar. 

How are people supposed to know this?  Even current support matrix documents say to go to the release advisor for this information (but actually lead to the release matrix):

TomU_0-1655307792882.png

... if a user is just interested in getting a release matrix for a specific version of a product from Release Advisor, they could follow the following steps ...

I actually like this approach.  Maybe you can add a little extra text at the start of the first page to make this more obvious:

TomU_1-1655308194279.png

The only OS that will show in those drop down menus are the ones compatible with the product you have selected. For Windchill 12.1.0.2 this appears to be Windows 10 and MacOS 10.15. For server side OS they support Windows 2019 & 2016.

Isn't that backwards?  Shouldn't someone be able to pick the client and/or server operating system they intend to upgrade to?  (Especially since Creo Parametric 7.0, 8.0, and 9.0, and Creo View 9.0 all support Windows 11, and Creo View Adapters 9.0 also supports both Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022. )

hlancey
8-Gravel

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback - yes I will add a message to the tool about viewing the matrix (and can link to a support article that explains). 

For the OS, the page is asking you to enter the OS you are currently using:

hlancey_0-1655825161195.png

Once you have selected a target upgrade version of Windchill, the tool will tell you if you need to update your OS:

hlancey_1-1655825303151.png

In this example you can see the user input they are currently on Windchill 11.1.0.0 and using Windows 7 (client OS). The tool is suggesting they upgrade to 12.0.2.6 and you can see from the OS table that Windows 7 will not be compatible, they will need to use Windows 10. 

The tool is based purely off what is supported for each release and recommends the highest version of a product you can upgrade directly to. There is currently no feature that allows a user to input something like "I want to upgrade from Windchill 11.1 to a Windchill version that supports Windows 10". 

Hopefully this helps - happy to answer anymore questions you have.

hlancey
8-Gravel

Tom,

An additional point on #3 - Creo 9 will not be supported with Windchill 12.0.1.2 which is why you do not see it on the release matrix. I have confirmed with the Creo/Windchill team this is correct.

Top Tags