cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Celebrating our Top February Engagers for Pi Day 2021!

Jaime_Lee
Community Manager

Celebrating our Top February Engagers for Pi Day 2021!

Happy Pi Day (and Happy Birthday to Albert Einstein)!

Interesting Pi fact I did not know....(but then again I am not an engineer or mathematician by any stretch) was that  "digits" (i.e. 3.14) for Pi have changed throughout the ages starting with Archimedes around 250 BC.  The article in Discover Magazine "Pi Day:  The History of the Math-Centric Holiday and the Special Number it Celebrates"proved to be helpful in learning about Pi!

Interesting facts from the article:
  • Around 250 BC, Archimedes was able to show that pi is between 3 1/7 and 3 10/71, or in decimal notation, 3.1429 and 3.1408.
  • Throughout the centuries, Chinese, Indian and Arab mathematicians continued to calculate pi to additional decimal places
  • Welsh mathematician William Jones came up with the idea of using the Greek letter π, or pi, to represent this special constant.
  • Isaac Newton worked out how to calculate pi to 16 digits.
  • In January 2020, cyber security analyst Timothy Mullican calculated pi to 50 trillion places, breaking the 2019 record of 31 trillion places held by computer scientist Emma Haruka Iwao. 

Have some pie today in honor of all the mathematicians that came before us.  Feel free to leave your favorite "pi/pie" meme or facts in the comments all week long!  We'll call this "Pi Week"!  No one can get enough pie!

Congratulations to our Top February Community Engagers who I am awarding with....you guessed it.. Pie!  My favorite pie happens to be pumpkin hence the orange letters.  Keep up the great job!  We appreciate your contribution and participation in the PTC Community!

recognitionpi.png

1 REPLY 1
Jaime_Lee
Community Manager
(To:Jaime_Lee)

I also had some Pi memes show up in my social newsfeed today. Did you?

pidaymemepng.png

Top Tags