cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Sketcher Symmetry

ptc-3035498
1-Newbie

Sketcher Symmetry

We have just had wildfire 4 installed. With wildfire 2, in sketcher, I was able to sketch my shape roughly either side of a datum plane and then use a centerline to 'snap' the shape to be symmetrical. This no longer seems to work with the new install. Does anyone know how to get it back ? I have intent manager switched on, and I realise I can make the shape symmetrical using constraints, but the old way was so much quicker. Any ideas ?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-3035498)

I believe it still works. What you may need to do is sketch the centerline (horizontal, vertical or both) first, right on the sketch references (presumably datum planes). Then if you sketch, for example, a rectangle, it should snap to symmetrical on those centerlines.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Thanks Chris, that works to a certain degree but if I put 2 circles in the rectangle either side of the datum I still can't get these symetrical using cetrelines.

you could use mirror in sketcher Reinhard

good suggestion, but the question remains: How can I get the symmetry using a centerline ?
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-3035498)

With 2 separete entities (ie 2 circles)... you can't. Not without using mirror, or adding a constraint later. No other way that I'm aware of. I wasn't aware that you ever could. That might be a handy thing.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:CBenner)

I use symmetry all the time.......on the flyout if you choose symmetry constraint, you click the centerline (you have to use the centerline command in the lines flyout), then the two objects you want to make symmetric, such as circle centers, and they will snap symmetric.

Here is a video for you....

http://communities.ptc.com/videos/2880

Top Tags