cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Alphabetical listing upper case then lower case

ptc-115314
1-Newbie

Alphabetical listing upper case then lower case

We are getting CREO 2 this fall and I'm curious to know before we get it ifPTC hasgotten past the need to list folder/file names in an upper case first then lower case issue? I am referring to the "Open" dialogbox and the in app browser and anywhere else they use this style.

I've been working with Pro/E for 21 years and still have not gotten use to this style of listings.

Is there a option in the config that I've been missing all these years?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Looks to be the same... here's the File > Open dialog:

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE99AB.7341C2F0]

-Ter

Well that's just fine...

Thanks Ter but now I have to ask "WHY?".

Does anyone know the reasoning behind listing upper case first then lower case?

It's legacy behavior from the days of UNIX, where characters are in ASCII order.
It's still inexcusable.
Pro/E, Wildfire, Creo has been running under Windows for well over 15 years.

Gerry Champoux
Williams International
Walled Lake, MI

In Reply to Ronald Huber:

Well that's just fine...

Thanks Ter but now I have to ask "WHY?".

Does anyone know the reasoning behind listing upper case first then lower case?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ptc-115314)

Characters are still represented by ASCII code, even in Windows, which is why it continues.
Deep down, all computers know is numbers.
Uppercase ASCII codes for A to Z are 65 to 90 while a to z are 97 to 122.
See
RonThellen
14-Alexandrite

I'm not buying it (the ASCII logic)! I'm looking at Windows Explorer right now and in the current folder I'm viewing I see folders and files nicely sorted alphabetically, ignoring the case of the letters. If I go to Word or Excel and select File > Open, the files are sorted alphabetically as expected, again, ignoring the case of the letters. Any other application I run sorts files as expected. PTC should be able to do the same. In fact, their sorting behavior is the exception. I'm not aware of any other application that sorts that way and I find it quite annoying.

Ron

I agree with Ron Thellen.

If it is purely because of ASCII then there would have to be something in the codingof Windows to counteract this and set to ignore(?) letter case.

Yes? No?

In Reply to Ron Thellen:

I'm not buying it (the ASCII logic)!

Windows now has some quite clever (or annoying, depending) sorting algorithms - for example, in Win 7 it now tries to recognise numbers and order them appropriately rather than by pure ASCII sequence.

Thus, it will now list

instead of

I think the Pro/E difference has to do with whether PTC write their own File->Open dialogue box, or call a built-in Windows one.

Jonathan
dgallup
4-Participant

I have always found MS office apps to be completely inconsistent when sorting lists. Why should PTC be any different? What would they be consistent with, there is no "standard" behavior that I am aware of.

In Reply to Jonathan Hodgson:

Windows now has some quite clever (or annoying, depending) sorting algorithms - for example, in Win 7 it now tries to recognise numbers and order them appropriately rather than by pure ASCII sequence.

Thus, it will now list

instead of

I think the Pro/E difference has to do with whether PTC write their own File->Open dialogue box, or call a built-in Windows one.

Jonathan
Top Tags