cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Are parts created in Creo Parametric 1.0 compatible with Creo Elements/Pro 5.0?

ptc-4633064
1-Newbie

Are parts created in Creo Parametric 1.0 compatible with Creo Elements/Pro 5.0?

I created a series of parts with Creo Parametric 1.0 and would like to work with them at home in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0.

When I attempt to open the *.prt files, I get message ' * cannot be retrieved.'

Are these compatible? I'm using a student license at home if that makes any difference.

Thanks--
Brandon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

By default you can never open models form newer version in older application. You should be getting message that part you're trying to open was created in newer release and cannot be retrieved. Also, if you created models in Creo Parametric using commercial license, you won't be able to open them at home using educational license (and you also should get explanation message). Every type of license allows only for loading models created with the same type of license, so you won't load models made with trial license into Creo with educational or commercial license and so on.

If Parametric was also using student license, then you need GCRI (Granite Cross Release Interoperability) - a set of libraries that allows loading newer models into older software and you can get them at http://www.ptc.com/products/granite/gcri/free-download.htm. In order to use them, you need to copy dll files from directory in Creo Parametric to \<loadpoint>\<architecture>\obj directory of Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (eg. \<loadpoint>\i486_nt\obj for x86 installation) and add this options to config.pro for Pro 5.0:

topobus_enable yes

atb_show_log off

atb_auto_check_on_update off

atb_auto_check_on_retrieve on

Also, in Paramteric you need to set config.pro option cri_grafting_enable to yes (before launching Creo) and save desired model. Then you should be able to load it into Creo Elements/Pro.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

By default you can never open models form newer version in older application. You should be getting message that part you're trying to open was created in newer release and cannot be retrieved. Also, if you created models in Creo Parametric using commercial license, you won't be able to open them at home using educational license (and you also should get explanation message). Every type of license allows only for loading models created with the same type of license, so you won't load models made with trial license into Creo with educational or commercial license and so on.

If Parametric was also using student license, then you need GCRI (Granite Cross Release Interoperability) - a set of libraries that allows loading newer models into older software and you can get them at http://www.ptc.com/products/granite/gcri/free-download.htm. In order to use them, you need to copy dll files from directory in Creo Parametric to \<loadpoint>\<architecture>\obj directory of Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 (eg. \<loadpoint>\i486_nt\obj for x86 installation) and add this options to config.pro for Pro 5.0:

topobus_enable yes

atb_show_log off

atb_auto_check_on_update off

atb_auto_check_on_retrieve on

Also, in Paramteric you need to set config.pro option cri_grafting_enable to yes (before launching Creo) and save desired model. Then you should be able to load it into Creo Elements/Pro.

(1.) I'm not sure what license I'm using at school, but I would assume an educational license rather than a commercial one.

(2.) The GCRI libraries are already loaded in Elements/Pro 5.0 as part of the installation.

(3.) How do I add options the config.pro? "topobus_enable" is not there.

Thank you.

1. Yeah, that would seem correct.

3. To add options to config.pro you simply go (in Creo Parametric) into File > Options > Configuration Editor, then click Add button and enter the name and desired value for option. In Creo Elements Pro it's Tools > Options. You can also directly edit config.pro file, since it's simple text file and put new options in there, it should look like this:

option_name [space] option_value (option names and values have underscore and are separated by space)

Your default config.pro files should be either in your user's documents or it's in the location defined in Creo Parametric (and Elements Pro 5.0) shortcut properties "Start in" field.

creo_shortcut.png

So you can simply copy&paste config.pro options I gave you into your config.pro file, save it and run Creo. Remember, that you need to put correct options for both Parametric and Elements Pro, and then save model in Parametric to be able to open it in Creo Elements Pro.

2. The *.dll that you need to use to open Creo 1 files in Creo Elements Pro 5 is part of the Creo 1 installation. Which in your case probably means you need to get instructor permission to get the *.dll file. The *.dll that is included with Creo Elements Pro 5 allows models you create with it to be opened in WF4 and WF3.

Other things to be aware of is the features created in Creo 1 will be read only, you can't edit them. You can add new features and bring the model back into Creo 1.

BTW, it is really rude of PTC to make the trial version files unusable after I have bought the license. Somebody should have to pay for this besides the customer. (me in this case)

Top Tags