cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Chinese symbols in English Creo

bmüller
13-Aquamarine

Chinese symbols in English Creo

Hi,

we have colleagues using Chinese version of Creo 2.0. If they create Chinese Text elements they use the default font - "font_chinese_cn".

If we open this files with an English Creo the default font is "font" and only boxes are displayed instead of chinese symbols.

if we edit a text file and change the font from default to "font_chinese_cn" or Windows own "SimHei" they symbols get displayed.

Is there any way to batch change the default font or add Chinese symbols to font.ndx?

adding chfnt.fnt to font.ndx doe not work.

We are testing a solution to change the default font to "font_chinese_cn". But we are little bit worried about the side effects.

Is there any best practice setup for multinational Creo Teams?

Our preferred solution would be, our Chinese colleagues using an explicit font, so we can just install this font on all machines. But this might fail due to organisational problems...

br Bernhard

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bernhard,

One way to batch change all the default font for all the drawings that need the font to be font_chinese_cn, is to make the change in the drawing setup file and save it to a *.dtl.

Then you can create a mapkey which does the following:

1. Access the detail options window
  2. Click on the Open Folder icon
  3. Select the save *.dtl file and Apply it to the current drawing
  4. Save the draiwng

Give that a try and see if it helps.  I'm sure the other users, in the community, will have suggestions too.

Thanks,

Amit

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Hi Bernhard,

One way to batch change all the default font for all the drawings that need the font to be font_chinese_cn, is to make the change in the drawing setup file and save it to a *.dtl.

Then you can create a mapkey which does the following:

1. Access the detail options window
  2. Click on the Open Folder icon
  3. Select the save *.dtl file and Apply it to the current drawing
  4. Save the draiwng

Give that a try and see if it helps.  I'm sure the other users, in the community, will have suggestions too.

Thanks,

Amit

thanks for the hint. we could directly edit the option in the dialog. so even no need for a *.dtl file.

What is the actual filename of the file that the "font_chinese_cn" is coming from?

Would a simple copying of that file to the English version of Creo's text/usascii folder solve the problem?

bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

it's font_chinese_cn.ndx. but copying the files did not work 😞

Ok. I have never tried to modify the proe fonts. I've only ever bothered with TTF fonts, but I guess copying just the *.ndx file won't do it.

*.ndx files go to dir

<Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\text\usascii

if you open any of these *.ndx files in plain text editor such as notepad they contain names of font files with the *.fnt extension. Those files belong to dir

<Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\<machine_type>\text\usascii or <Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\<machine_type>\chinese_cn for that matter

Do you have the chfnt.fnt file in there? See the picture bellow.

fnt_files.PNG

bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

I have found these files, but adding the chfnt.fnt line to *.ndx files has no effect.

even if I select chfnt as font for a text file it only shows boxes.

only selecting font_chinese_cn or any chinese TTF works.

in the mean time we found out, that they some times use TTF fonts. maybe we can force them to always use TTF fonts.

Hi,

maybe your problem is caused by fact that the license must contain Chinese_translation module (code 155). See also Installed the Creo3.0, choose the Chinese ,but it display English

MH

Martin Hanák
bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

Hi,

hm but it works if I select the Chinese font explicitly.

I do not need the GUI in Chinese.

But there is no way to get an extra Chinese license for testing 😕

Hi,

I think that the root of the problem is detail option default_font font which is used by Chinese colleagues and also by you.

My guess is that:

Chinese installation (PRO_LANG=chs or PRO_LANG=cht) uses <Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\text\"chinese"\font.ndx file

English installation (PRO_LANG=english) uses <Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\text\usascii\font.ndx file

Test:
If you replace ...usascii\font.ndx file with ..."chinese"\font.ndx file and copy *.fnt files mentioned in ..."chinese"\font.ndx file into <Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\<machine_type>\text\usascii directory then I expect that you will see chinese characters in your English installation (PRO_LANG=english).

MH

Martin Hanák
bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

I have even copied the whole chinese content to usascii folders...

no effect.

I do not understand it...

truetypefonts are just mapped bei name - just replace the font in <Creo_Install_Dir>\Common Files\MXXX\text\fonts by another font.

Hi,

I can test your problem on my PC, if you upload (see How to Attach a File to a Discussion Reply) a testing drawing. Also tell me what Creo version do you use.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi,

suggestion after some testing in CR2 M200 ...

If your Chinese colleagues agree to change value of their drawing configuration option default_font from font to font_chinese_cn then problem is solved (I hope). Of course you have to install Creo with Chinese languages included.

You can test attached drawing containing following note.

imageFile.png

MH

Martin Hanák
bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:bmüller)

Hi Martin,

thanks for your effort!

in the meantime I have found out that they use more than the default font... isofont has the same problems.

We'll try to agree on a TTF which we can deploy on all clients.

adding chinese symbols to usascii font.ndx would have been nice for "legacy" files.

br Bernhard

Top Tags