cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Copied Windchill local Cache - now issues

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Copied Windchill local Cache - now issues

Let me start by saying I knew better......
OK had this user, was moving to a different computer. He had a bunch of stuff in local workspaces. Mind you this is not ordinary production models, or even anything to do with product. Off the radar stuff. He was designing some simple carts and some jigs for production facility. Went I approached him about the move I said, "Be sure to upload anything not checked in." He can't, he said he tried, he basically used the same name for parts in several models configured differently, and kept saving new sizes in diff. workspaces. (bad practices, this is a MFG guy, not enginjeer). "Well not huge deal to lose them but I'd rather not" he says.
"Cant you just copy the local workspaces he" asks? He suggests copying the local cache in Roaming folder. I told him, not recommended, yada, yada, yada. But nothing to lose, so why not.
We try it, seems to work. He said all the WS were there. The old machine was redeployed, the local spaces taken out of his profile (for space issues) and copied to a separate drive for safe measure-Just in case. And his user profile was kept in tact. But now he comes back and says there tons of stuff missing, basically everything he created, that was not added to WS from CS.

We tried to copy the local cache folder from roaming back over to that original machine. Same results as his new machine, missing the parts.

Both machines were same OS win7 64, same user profile for the login guy.

Anyone have any guess where these parts are?? Aren't they encrypted in the cashe? I told him I'd ask. (I'm taking him for his word these parts ever existed in any WS). I have no way to know they ever did exist.

Thanks all,
Mark Steffke

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

They are not encrypted in the local cache, just the names of the files are different. You just have to copy all the lid_* files from the cache and run a rename utility on them.

Here's my script:

* set INNAME=backup_cache

* set BACKUPRENAME=%INNAME:.ps=%-%date:~10,4%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%

* if not exist "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\%BACKUPRENAME%" (mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\%BACKUPRENAME%")

* xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\cache\PDMLink_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.cache2008\<your server=" name=">\lid_*" "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\%BACKUPRENAME%\"

* copy \\dtedcadlic\ProConfigs\bin\recover_workspace\WorkspaceRename_2.exe "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\%BACKUPRENAME%\."

* cd /d "%USERPROFILE%\pro\Creo_2_home\%BACKUPRENAME%"

* WorkspaceRename_2.exe

I can send you my rename utility. I got the source from someone and had a guy change a couple things and have been using it ever since.

There is another utility on the PTCuser website in the downloads section. Not sure how to use it from a script. It's more of an interactive tool.

David Haigh

I've used the following Windchill Cache Recover Tool with success. ">http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/si/topic=67&type=0<http: portal.ptcuser.org=" p=" do=" si=" topic="67&amp;type=0"> you will need an account on the PTC community site.

Basically the *.lid files stored in the cache are the files not updated to common space. These are ascii files and renaming them to the PTC_COMMON_NAME found in the file allows one to open. It gets a little tricky with large assemblies but once renamed and imported back into the users workspace to synchronize with files referencing them you should be OK.

Sincerely,
Linette
Linette.Alvarez@exelisinc.com<">mailto:Linette.Alvarez@exelisinc.com>
EDO Corp. - Subsidiary of Exelis Inc.
631-630-4085
msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

Thanks David, Daniel, and Linette, I'll give this a go.
I'll probably make the user sweat it out a while, else they'll think this is a normal procedure.

Mark Steffke

Hi Mark,

You can only copy entire windchill caches over from one system to another if the complete path remains exactly the same.
You can use the environment variable "ptc_wf_root " to point windchill to a specific location.

The recovery tool is a fantastic tool, but it will not work all the time. Especially with renamed models it can get confused..

Another option the user has is to open the workspaces on his old system and backup the models to a local folder (he was not able to check them in anyhow ....)

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten | CAD/PLM Manager

Besi Netherlands B.V. | Ratio 6| 6921RW Duiven| The Netherlands
T: +31 26 3196215 | M: +31 644548554
- | www.besi.com

To: "-" <->
Date: 03-04-2014 18:16
Subject: [proesys] - Copied Windchill local Cache - now issues

Let me start by saying I knew better……
OK had this user, was moving to a different computer. He had a bunch of stuff in local workspaces. Mind you this is not ordinary production models, or even anything to do with product. Off the radar stuff. He was designing some simple carts and some jigs for production facility. Went I approached him about the move I said, “Be sure to upload anything not checked in.” He can’t, he said he tried, he basically used the same name for parts in several models configured differently, and kept saving new sizes in diff. workspaces. (bad practices, this is a MFG guy, not enginjeer). “Well not huge deal to lose them but I’d rather not” he says.
“Cant you just copy the local workspaces he” asks? He suggests copying the local cache in Roaming folder. I told him, not recommended, yada, yada, yada. But nothing to lose, so why not.
We try it, seems to work. He said all the WS were there. The old machine was redeployed, the local spaces taken out of his profile (for space issues) and copied to a separate drive for safe measure-Just in case. And his user profile was kept in tact. But now he comes back and says there tons of stuff missing, basically everything he created, that was not added to WS from CS.

We tried to copy the local cache folder from roaming back over to that original machine. Same results as his new machine, missing the parts.

Both machines were same OS win7 64, same user profile for the login guy.

Anyone have any guess where these parts are?? Aren’t they encrypted in the cashe? I told him I’d ask. (I’m taking him for his word these parts ever existed in any WS). I have no way to know they ever did exist.

Thanks all,
Mark Steffke

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription

Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

Next time you want to do this try the export/import function for workspaces. The following is from the PTC doc: Using Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire with Windchill (Windchill 9.1 April 2010) and it works quite well:

Mike Foster
ATK

Exporting and Importing Workspaces
Exporting a workspace allows you to save a password-protected, portable
workspace (.pws) file to your local disc that can be transported to another system.
The workspace is designated as "belonging to" the original primary server and
owned by the original user; however, while imported to a second system, the
detached (exported) workspace cannot interact with the original primary server.
Selecting a workspace in the Server Manager and then selecting Workspace >
Export Workspace invokes a synchronization dialog box with the
synchronization choices described in the previous section and displaying a default
local storage location for the exported workspace (you can browse to a new
location if desired). You then are asked to set a workspace password that is
required to open the workspace (by non-owner) or re-import the workspace (upon
return to owner).
With the password, the workspace can be imported onto a different
Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire client (Workspace > Import Workspace). When
opened on a second Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire client, the workspace and its
primary server appear in the Folder Navigator indicated as Offline. After any
modifications are made to workspace objects, the workspace can be exported
from the second system (without the steps of synchronization/download/upload or
assigning a password) and then re-imported onto the original system (requiring
both the password and synchronization).
The workspace on the originating system is automatically locked at export to
prevent unwanted changes. The owner can unlock the original workspace
manually (for example, if the exported workspace is not going to be re-imported
and s/he wants to continue using it) by selecting the workspace on the My
Workpaces page and clicking Unlock, or by selecting it in the Server Manager
and then selecting Workspace > (checkmark) Lock Workspace.
Top Tags