cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creating a .sup file?

erine
12-Amethyst

Creating a .sup file?

I need to know how to create a .sup file and have Creo read it on startup.

I've tried exporting my config, manually adding the ".sup" extension and then moving that file to my start folder (same one my config.pro is located) to see if it will overwrite that test command option.  No luck.  Anyone that can point out what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

Creo 4.0 / M060
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:erine)

Here is the official word from PTC technical support (CS28227😞

Process of setting configuration options upon start:

• Default settings for all options are hard coded into Creo Parametric
  • If a particular option is present in more than one configuration file, Creo Parametric applies the most recently loaded/read setting
  • At startup, Creo Parametric first reads in a protected system configuration file called config.sup
  • config.sup file in the text directory of the installation overwrites option values and blocks them from being further overwritten by config.pro files read in the order:
  1. config.pro file in the text directory of installation
    • text directory in Pro/ENGINEER and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 is under <installation>/text
    • text directory in Creo Parametric is under <installation>\Common Files\<datecode>\text
  2. config.pro file in the HOME directory (with Creo Parametric all versions all datecodes, requires administrator rights):
    • by default the HOME directory is set to the operating system environment variable %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% for the user
    • %HOME% can be set explicitly to modify the HOME Directory
  3. config.pro file in the startup directory when launching Creo Parametric (working directory)
    • How to configure the startup directory, refer to CS23977, to set a config.pro for multiple machines, a mapped network drive can be set as the startup directory
  •  The local configuration files (config.pro, config.win, and menu_def.pro) in startup directory are last to be read and override any conflicting configuration file option entries
  • The config.pro file does not, however, override any config.sup entries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TomU
23-Emerald IV

config.sup files are only read from the loadpoint (where Creo is actually installed).  Should be in a folder like C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M120\Common Files\text\

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Either copy an existing config.pro and rename to config.sup or create a new text file with the name config.sup.

It needs to be in the loadpoint text  folder.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You do NOT want to take your existing config.pro file and save it as config.sup!

There are limitations to a config.sup file that do not allow all options of the config to be useful. One example is a mapkey command. You would only get the first mapkey in the config.sup loaded into Creo and no others.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

Sorry, that is very true. I was thinking more of just creating the file and stripping out all the stuff to use as a base.  But that wasn't clear at all.

Config.sup should be relatively small with only the options that are "forbidden" to be changed. Be very careful what you add to it.

All mapkeys in the config.sup will get loaded - not only one mapkey. It will however prevent users from creating their own mapkeys - which is likely undesirable. I'd like PTC to implement this product idea to allow for admins to create an 'official' set of mapkeys stored in the config.sup that users can't overwrite and then still allow users to have their own mapkeys.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Allow-Mapkeys-in-both-config-sup-and-config-pro/idi-p/457453

erine
12-Amethyst

"load point" and "start in" locations are two separate things, correct?

As for contents of the .sup being the same as .pro, I made a different text file with only "accuracy_lower_bound" at a different number to test .sup.

I chunked the .sup file in the "load point," restarted Creo and that setting was niether locked/different from the .pro file when i checked out my current session config settings.  I also tried putting it in my "start in" location and that did not work, either.

edit: added a screenshot file.

Creo 4.0 / M060
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Text folder would more likely be in program files...like this

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 3.0\M070\Common Files\text

except the creo 3 and the m070 part

Start in is where you're shortcut "start-in" is, not where the shortcut is actually at. Look at the properties for the shortuct:

start-in.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

And it needs to be in your loadpoint TEXT folder, not the start in...just to be clear.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Here is the official word from PTC technical support (CS28227😞

Process of setting configuration options upon start:

• Default settings for all options are hard coded into Creo Parametric
  • If a particular option is present in more than one configuration file, Creo Parametric applies the most recently loaded/read setting
  • At startup, Creo Parametric first reads in a protected system configuration file called config.sup
  • config.sup file in the text directory of the installation overwrites option values and blocks them from being further overwritten by config.pro files read in the order:
  1. config.pro file in the text directory of installation
    • text directory in Pro/ENGINEER and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 is under <installation>/text
    • text directory in Creo Parametric is under <installation>\Common Files\<datecode>\text
  2. config.pro file in the HOME directory (with Creo Parametric all versions all datecodes, requires administrator rights):
    • by default the HOME directory is set to the operating system environment variable %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% for the user
    • %HOME% can be set explicitly to modify the HOME Directory
  3. config.pro file in the startup directory when launching Creo Parametric (working directory)
    • How to configure the startup directory, refer to CS23977, to set a config.pro for multiple machines, a mapped network drive can be set as the startup directory
  •  The local configuration files (config.pro, config.win, and menu_def.pro) in startup directory are last to be read and override any conflicting configuration file option entries
  • The config.pro file does not, however, override any config.sup entries
Top Tags