cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo 2.0 M120 - Any feedback on this version anyone?

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie

Creo 2.0 M120 - Any feedback on this version anyone?

Hey All,

I am wondering if anyone has downloaded and tried out the latest M120 release, and if anyone has any feedback good or bad?

Thanks,

Buddy Hudson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So far for me, M120 has been very stable. It definitely resolves some small but annoying issues. For example, it resolves an error you frequently get in M100 that says Creo cannot exit due to operations being performed on the background. It doesn't pop up all the time but when it does you're forced to kill Creo from the Windows Task Manager. This is gone in M120. It's too soon to say if this build is any faster than M100. M110 was notoriously slow according to the OCUS benchmarks.

If you're in M090 or lower, I'd consider moving up to M120.

However, I disagree pretty strongly that going to Creo 3 is a good idea. There's no way I'd move my production environment to a F000 level release. I don't care if that release claims to walk on water, there's no way it's ready for prime time.

This sounds like I'm saying I don't trust PTC to put out a product that's been sufficiently tested and vetted for everyday use. If it doesn't sound like that, then let me make it crystal clear... I Do Not Trust PTC To Put Out A Fully Tested and Acceptably Bug Free Product on the first release. If you're running without Windchill and you're a very small business with only a few seats, you can probably safely move. If that's not you, then I'd advise testing the heck out of Creo 3 and waiting until at least M020 before moving. Even that is really aggressive. Some features of Creo 3 won't even be released until M020. Unless you want to be promoted to chief bug tester and overall chump, I'd be very careful about jumping too soon.

My goal is to move my production environment to Creo 3 in either late Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2015. That depends quite a bit on testing, benchmarks, and the impressions of the few brave (or insane) souls who take the plunge early. Don't get me wrong, I like Creo 3 and I'm excited for it to mature a bit into a product I can deploy... But over 25 years of experience deploying Pro/E and Creo tells me to be smart and wait until the big showstopper bugs have been found and fixed.

I'm still working through bugs from Creo 2, fat chance I'm doubling down on Creo 3 and hoping for a miracle.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:BuddyHudson)

I had M120 installed a couple of days ago and haven't noticed any issues. I got it to test if for large assembly drawing performance improvements. I haven't done any real testing though. Just normal use.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Good question. This is the first time in a while that I have not immediately installed a new build. m100 seems to run so good and m110 ran so bad.

Hey Matt,

That is interesting becuase I have not had any issues with M110 so far....what did you experience?

Buddy

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Just lots of crashes. I talked about it here.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/243956#243956

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

OK I installed m120, I'll start using it tomorrow. It only takes a few minutes to go back to m100 if needed.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Inoram)

ok!, I still like M100 better then M120.

I havent switched back, but I have some weird, random lost reference issues loading older projects into M120.

So far for me, M120 has been very stable. It definitely resolves some small but annoying issues. For example, it resolves an error you frequently get in M100 that says Creo cannot exit due to operations being performed on the background. It doesn't pop up all the time but when it does you're forced to kill Creo from the Windows Task Manager. This is gone in M120. It's too soon to say if this build is any faster than M100. M110 was notoriously slow according to the OCUS benchmarks.

However, I disagree pretty strongly that going to Creo 3 is a good idea. There's no way I'd move my production environment to a F000 level release. I don't care if that release claims to walk on water, there's no way it's ready for prime time.

This sounds like I'm saying I don't trust PTC to put out a product that's been sufficiently tested and vetted for everyday use. If it doesn't sound like that, then let me make it crystal clear... I Do Not Trust PTC To Put Out A Fully Tested and Acceptably Bug Free Product on the first release. If you're running without Windchill and you're a very small business with only a few seats, you can probably safely move. If that's not you, then I'd advise testing the heck out of Creo 3 and waiting until at least M020 before moving. Even that is really aggressive. Some features of Creo 3 won't even be released until M020. Unless you want to be promoted to chief bug tester and overall chump, I'd be very careful about jumping too soon.

My goal is to move my production environment to Creo 3 in either late Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2015. That depends quite a bit on testing, benchmarks, and the impressions of the few brave (or insane) souls who take the plunge early. Don't get me wrong, I like Creo 3 and I'm excited for it to mature a bit into a product I can deploy... But over 25 years of experience deploying Pro/E and Creo tells me to be smart and wait until the big showstopper bugs have been found and fixed.

I'm still working through bugs from Creo 2, fat chance I'm doubling down on Creo 3 and hoping for a miracle.

now we need to hold the "Ctrl" button to select more than one entity to give dimension in Creo 3.0 detailing..that is very frustrating..

So now it's using two hands to create a dimension instead of one. This is another step backwards by PTC. Imagine that.

It can help if you need to dimension only continous edges of a model. But probably 99.8% of the time that is not the case. What was PTC thinking?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:STEVEG)

they have merged the common reference option with the regular dimension option.....who finally approves this at PTC?

A real tongue twister was using intersection references for dimensions. Make sure this still works "as expected" with the new paradigm.

Brian; are you saying you put M120 into production?

No, but I'm planning to. We're in the final stages of testing before we deploy. I'm out next week for some medical stuff but we anticipate putting it into production in the next two weeks unless we find any showstoppers.

Looking forward to your assessment, Brian.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

So far M120 has been good (2 days light usage). And not sure yet if it's just me, but it seems snappier.

They might have fixed the assembly section slow down thing this time, but I have to create a few more to be sure.

Brian, any update on rolling out M120 for production?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Antonius,

If you are looking to update (cause I'm sure you are still on M040), I would recommend M100.

Just my opinion. And based on other comments in the forum, it seems like a lot of people like M100, M110 and M120.

But yes, I am also wondering if Brian rolled it out.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:BrianMartin)

Brian Martin wrote:

Antonius

Brian Martin wrote:

That's about how I feel. It might just be my import tool for a bit for when people send my Solidworks files. I have played with it some, it hasn't crashed or anything yet, but I haven't had full days of use with it.

Thanks to all of you for providing your feedback!

Buddy

Most of my users are on M110. Before we updated to that our users were on either M070 or M090. The users that had M070 HAD to stay on it. There is a bug in M080 - M110. If the computer or laptop has an integrated video card driver then Creo will NOT start no matter what I did. Once M120 came out I tested it on the computers that still had M070 and it worked. So I moved all our M070 users to M120.

Top Tags