cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo 4.0 Login User Login Prompt Timing

Kevin76
6-Contributor

Creo 4.0 Login User Login Prompt Timing

Creo 4.0 M120, Windchill  11.2.1.2

We recently changed VARs and migrated from Creo 3.0 M140. I have noticed the timing for logging into my session now comes after a workspace action request. In Creo 3.0, it was immediately after launch. The new timing for login is not conducive to crashes/improper closings and attempting to RETRIEVE open files at the crash. If we chose to RETRIEVE, we get "failure to open ****" messages that we either are prompted to ignore or cancel the retrieval. If we ignore (which is usually for all the files), after all the prompts, nothing opens and then the user is prompted to login. If they had been logged in before, all files would've been retrieved....in theory.

So here's the question....where is the preference to change when the user is prompted to login? I have been searching (as Windchill Admin) for 3 days and have found nothing relatable. Is it an upper level system Admin preference setting?  Thank you for your help. (PS...I'm a super user that has taken on the roll of Windchill Admin and trained by "sink or swim" style, please be as basic as possible with any advice.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, 

If you enable  "expand the browser during startup" in the Creo windows settings menu, you will be prompted to login on launch. The setting is saved in the customization.ui file.

In Creo:

File>Options>Window Settings>Expand the browser during startup

Ty

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi, 

If you enable  "expand the browser during startup" in the Creo windows settings menu, you will be prompted to login on launch. The setting is saved in the customization.ui file.

In Creo:

File>Options>Window Settings>Expand the browser during startup

Ty

Kevin76
6-Contributor
(To:Tdaugherty)

Thank you for your suggestion. Expand the browser during startup is already enabled and still no prompt for user login. This was verified before and after a complete system reboot. I don't know why that would require a user login, but it made me hopeful for a few moments. Any other suggestions?

Do you have your browser homepage set to the Windchill homepage?

This setting controls the homepage of the browser:

web_browser_homepage - normally placed in the config.sup

Also, do you have the server registered with an active workspace?

Ty

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Do you have the following set in config.pro?

dm_remember_server

web_browser_homepage

Kevin76
6-Contributor

Server is registered to an active workspace. Whichever workspace was active at close is the workspace that is active at launch, even before a login request is initiated. The browser config is not added to the config.sup, but local IT policies doesn't allow my to simply add it to test. I'm still not understanding how a browser setting will trigger a login prompt, but I will let you know if this suggestion makes a difference after I arm wrestle with IT over local admin authority.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Kevin76)

web_browser_homepage setting does not have to be in config.sup.

I have mine in config.pro but don't tell my users that!

There are 3 config.pro (plus config.sup) files read in when Creo starts.

They load in this order with any setting in a later file overwriting one in an earlier file except the config.sup setttings.

<loadpoint>/Common files/text/config.sup

<loadpoint>/Common files/text/config.pro

<loadpoint> being c:\ptc\creo4m080\creo 4.0\ m080

<user_home>/config.pro

<user_home> being c:\users\<username>

<start_in>/config.pro

<start_in> being c:\PTC_user\<username> or something depending on IT rules, may be the same as <user_home>

You should have write access to one or both of the last 2 to test the web_browser_homepage setting.

Kevin76
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

BenLoosli,

I didn't see your reply earlier. Yes, you are/were absolutely correct! I changed mine in config.pro to test also...admin privileges. 🙂

We don't utilize the middle loadpoint as you described though, just Launch directory and user public files directory. We had discussions about missing the old days of the server level config that pushed changes to all users with only 1 file update, to bad PTC went away from that.

See my previous reply for the requirement of the web_browser_homepage. Technically, that isn't what drives the login prompt, calling anything to the server will drive the prompt. You can keep the homepage to the resource center.

-Kevin-

Kevin76
6-Contributor

Ok, not waiting for IT to respond, I decided to add the configs to my local configs. As I was copying and pasting the address into the config, the realization hit me why it would prompt a login. Call this the proverbial "leading the horse to water" with the additional forcing his head underwater scenario!  Thanks for your help!!! All is back to normal now. 

-Kevin-

Kevin76
6-Contributor
(To:Kevin76)

I just wanted to add one further discovery to this thread.

Changing the web_browser_homepage is not a necessary config change. While looking through some of the local and launch directory configs, I noticed that some pointed to our old (currently non-existent) server. Mainly, in the launch directory config, there are template configs that the value points to a system folder. Once we updated that to the new server, and I deleted the config for the web_browser_homepage, the user is prompted to login upon program launch.

I just wanted to update for anyone who might want to keep their homepage pointed to the resource center.

Top Tags