cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Deploy CREO 10 using 7zip

cying
10-Marble

Deploy CREO 10 using 7zip

Prior to CREO 6, I can install a new release of CREO on my machine and create a 7zip archive.  Users can extract this archive and install this on their machine without using the software center or requiring local admin rights.  With the new releases now, you have to run the creoagent (creosvcs_64.exe) which requires admin rights.  PTC support stated that this is not a supported method, and not offering any workarounds.   I believe some folks are still using this method for their deployment.  Just curious how I can do this for our CREO 10 deployment and not have to rely on the software center. 

Thank you all in advance!

Calvin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:cying)

Hi,

try simple test:

• install Creo Parametric 10.0 on clean computer (I mean computer without any Creo installation)
  • zip installation
  • copy zip to another computer
  • unzip
  • run Creo

Note: In Creo 9.0 I had to add following lines at the end of parametric.psf file. Path corresponds with my installation.

ENV=CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Agent\creoagent.exe
ENV=CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Platform\9\manifests

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

try simple test:

• install Creo Parametric 10.0 on clean computer (I mean computer without any Creo installation)
  • zip installation
  • copy zip to another computer
  • unzip
  • run Creo

Note: In Creo 9.0 I had to add following lines at the end of parametric.psf file. Path corresponds with my installation.

ENV=CREO_AGENT_EXE_PATH=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Agent\creoagent.exe
ENV=CREO_AGENT_LDP_LIST=E:\PTC\Creo9_020\Creo\Platform\9\manifests

Martin Hanák

Thanks, I will try this and update this post 🙂

cying
10-Marble

I just realized that I never updated this post.  Thanks to all the suggestions, I am able to deploy CREO 10 without the need for local admin privileges 🙂

Calvin

dnordin
15-Moonstone

It would be interesting to hear from PTC on what doesn't work using this method of deployment.  There are other tools/pre-requisites that are not installed when using this method.  The thumbnail viewer, 20XX vcredist_x64 & _x86, dot net framework, and java [and possibly device_api.dll].  What are all the components of the Creo Parametric installation that rely on these?

There are of course the obvious missing registry settings (file associations, uninstall commands, etc.), system environment variables, system start menu icons, and public desktop icons.

Another consideration before using this method is security/IT related.  Your company may require that software be "discoverable" on the PC's without having to do a full scan of the HD's on every machine.  This is typically done via the registry settings.

Dan N.

Top Tags