cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Detail view notation format

nhanratty
2-Guest

Detail view notation format

All

Does anybody know what settings (dtl/config/format file) controls the format used for detail view notations in a drawing?

I have attached two images one from a user's PC with the notation we use and one from a user's PC where the notation is very different.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:nhanratty)

Neal Hanratty,

That is a drawing option and not a modeling option. I remember playing
around with this before and I ended up saving a dtl file for this
configuration.

Take a look at the image that I have included here:

Michael P. Locascio

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Neal,
It's detail_circle_note_text and the value should be DEFAULT...seems like an odd value but that gives you the 'SEE DETAIL'

[cid:image001.png@01CFAD60.778515F0]

You can make it anything you want...in this case, I set it do say 'NEAL'

[cid:image002.jpg@01CFAD61.1760B340]

yes, that's a drawing .dtl setting. the name's 'view_scale_format'. defaults to 'decimal' but you can change it to a couple types of outputs.

Matt Bracht

-

mlocascio
4-Participant

Nice touch!

In Reply to

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Sorry, I don't know of an option to adjust the name under the detail view. Seems like a very reasonable request especially since we can control the name on the leader note.

[cid:image002.png@01CFB14A.E7A46280]

Does anyone know how to turn off the "scale" note, but leave the " detail name" part of the note.
We do not want to show any scales on our drawings.
I already have a format note that says do not scale drawing
but I would like to erase the "scale 2:1" part of the note.

Fred J. Matthis
-

TracyWillis
5-Regular Member

Not sure about any other release but in Creo parametric 2.0, You can change the view name of the detail view in the drawing tree
Right Click > Rename…. the system still puts the word DETAIL in front of the name though… PTC “almost got another one” ☺

Have a good day &_STUFF
Tw

[cid:image001.png@01CFB154.FE0A70A0]

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Haha, we’ve had this discussion here at work and on this forum before. I don’t believe there is an option to turn off the scale. To be complete, showing scale on the drawing is an ASME requirement even if you have a note on your drawing that says “do not scale drawing” which is on every drawing I have ever produced at every company I have worked at.

Having the scale on the drawing does not really facilitate scaling a drawing. It’s more about having the size ratio on the print so you know that the bolt hole in one view isn’t physically 3 times larger than the bolt hole in another view.

All of this is my opinion (except the ASME part) and I think if a company wants to not have it on their drawings, that is okay as long as they are consistent.

What we’ve always done is simply move the callout off the format – hang it out in space. Bad practice, I know – but that was the decision. And it works…

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We had a manager one time demand no scales displayed on the drawings so we changed the scale note size to .001. You still get the SECTION A-A part but the scale note is just a little dot. Horrible work-around but it met the demand.

That manager has since left. Thankfully.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I don’t know of any way to change/eliminate the view/scale note automatically, but you can certainly delete it. Just pick on the note and hit ‘Delete’.

I submitted a Product Enhancement Request to allow the view_note option to match the detail_circle_note_text. So now we need votes to move it up the ladder for consideration. I know this seems trivial but I'm tired of having to change the text every time I create a detailed view. It creates a needless opportunity for a checker comment if I forget to change it.

Don

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Don't forget to vote on your own enhancement in the forum!!

Perhaps you should look at it this way. It's the checkers job to find problems. If they don't find something wrong, they will nit-pick just so they can mark something up.

This give them a bone they can go after, and they will be satisfied with that.

I see this in all kinds of government oversight jobs. It's their job to find problems, sometimes it's better to have a typo or some other simple obvious problem, so they don't start nit-picking other things that may add up to lots of work.

David Haigh

Sounds like we need a new config.pro setting:

obvious_error (yes/no)
Adds large text spelling error text to face of the drawing.

That'll do it!

-Ter
mlocascio
4-Participant

I am not sure exactly what you are asking for. I can tell you that the view
name text CAN be edited to add information under it.

Michael P. Locascio

mlocascio
4-Participant

I tried that post and it said something like "the post is not valid."

You need to be logged into the community and have active maintenance to see it.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags