cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Fastener library - best ways to define material?

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Fastener library - best ways to define material?

Looking through a number of fastener libraries we have access to, I'm noticing that they handle material assignment differently. 

• No actual material assigned, just a density assigned to the generic
  • Multiple materials assigned, but instead of adding the material to the family table they added the density. Which seems odd to me.
  • The default load point PTC fastener lib has neither density or material assigned. 

So what would you do if you were designing a fastener library from scratch?

• Would you assign multiple materials, and then add the material to the family table so it can be selected?
  • I suppose you could have a nested family table for a screw type, say socket head cap screw, then ask the user to pick the material next.
  • Or you could put the material choice last after thread diameter & length and not nest the family table.

Looking for suggestions and a discussion to guide my thinking on what to do with our current libraries. 

1 REPLY 1
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

I put my fasteners in files by material. I have a cap head screw file for 316SS, one for 18-8PH and one for A534 steel.

My thinking was that once a material was selected for the application, only a change in length and in some rare situations diameter would be needed. Seldom would a different material be needed for an application.

Top Tags