cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Floating license on the Internet

ptc-279830
3-Visitor

Floating license on the Internet

I have a floating license of Pro/e and would like to be able to access it remotely over the internet. The server machine is behind a firewall, so I know that changes will need to be made there. What will the host setting look like on the client?
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Bob, I have the same issue / desire. I have no sugguestions, but am hoping perhaps you have figured it out allready? Would love to know how to do this. Good luck gregory

It can be done using VPN. Consult with you IT dept.

I've got a similar setup to the original poster; I'm trying to run Wildfire 5 floating license outside my company's network on my personal notebook. The license server is in-house, however, and behind a SonicWall firewall. When I try to fire up Wildfire while at home through a VPN tunnel, I get an error saying I can't see the license server. My problem seems to be with the firewall configuration, or the VPN tunnel, because if my notebook is plugged in to the wall of my office I don't get an error finding the license server. I've opened up the 7788 port on the SonicWall to my license server in-house, but I don't know what else to open on it. I'm kinda lost. Help?

I had an issue like that with a previous employer. I think what happens is when you VPN from behind a dynamic IP (your home internet). Even though you probably have a fixed IP using a VPN, the lic file may still only recognize dynamic IP. The only solution I was told to try was to get a fixed IP address thru your ISP. That is usually not easy and you have to pay extra for it. If you can get your company to pay for it then no big deal... Alternatively, if you have remote desktop activated you can run Pro directly on your workstation via any computer as long as you have the propper IT privies to do so. Same with Logmein (must be LogMein Pro in order to save to your own laptop).

Rusty, I'm not sure I'm following. How does the license file recognize any IP? I thought it was MAC-address based. Regardless, the VPN client gets an IP address from the DHCP server (also the DC) on the domain - this isn't any different from the other engineering workstations in-house, and they don't have this problem. (I guess I should mention that the rest of my Engineers are using Wildfire 2 in conjunction with Pro/INTRALINK 3.3. I should also mention that I'm the IT Manager here, and I don't normally use either product; we're just trying to get this working for another engineer.)

This is quite easy and no VPN required.

Open ports 7788-7799, this is the licensing port. You may edit the ptc.opt file to include the port number 7788 added to the end of the DAEMON line.

Wildfire 5 went weird a bit, but in your config.pro or your config.sup you will have to add a hidden config option to disable triad license server. I'll have to dig through a couple of emails to find this option. I'll update the post when I have this. Or, if you contact support you can get it as well.

Top Tags