cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

How to Update License Server

NickPenny
4-Participant

How to Update License Server

This thread appears to have got lost in the changes.

I have a server system with no connection to the internet.  It has been serving Creo licences to workstations for a few years and now it is time to upgrade the license software in preparation for the installation of Creo 4.

Following some major issues last week the system has been running with the old lmgrd software run from a console window.  This evening I have shut down the server and removed the old software.  To do that I renamed the directory "FLEXnet  Admin License Server" to "old.FLEXnet ...".  I didn't want to actually remove it, I wanted to keep a way back in case things failed.  I rebooted to get a clean system and ensure that there were no open files in the old directory.

I had previous downloaded the package flexnetadmin64_11.14 from PTC and expanded the zip file.  I ran the setup.exe and dragged in a copy of the license file.  Eventually I got the message "starting..." but that was all.  Using both explorer to monitor the Program Files\PTC directory and also using the system's resource monitor it was clear that after a brief activity to read the license file nothing was happening.  I have let it run for up to an hour, but no activity was visible.

I have also tried using the installation DVD, but that only gives me the option to install software.

I have tried with the lpadmin service disabled and enabled, though of course without a target file the service is not going to do much!

I tried deleting the lpadmin service so that the CREO installer couldn't be confused, but there isn't a delete button and I'm not about to start monkeying with Windows at 20:00.

I have restored the old software and restarted the old daemon from a console, so I'm back where I was nearly a week ago.

Any suggestions?

As before, I'm actually Martin acting on behalf of Nick.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

1.]

What Windows version is installed on license server ?

2.]

Creo 3.0 and older releases are able to communicate with FLEXnet 10.8.

I suggest you to:

• download FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package
  • stop license manager launched from console
  • stop&disable lmadmin_ptc service (if it exists)
  • check if Flexlm server for PTC service exists - if YES then you have to remove it before continuing - it is forbidden to install two PTC license managers using port 7788
  • make a copy of current FLEXnet  Admin License Server directory (do not rename it, only)
  • uninstall current FLEXnet  Admin License Server
  • install FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package
  • check whether FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package works well
    • if YES then this is your "backup" solution
    • if NO then uninstall FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package and start license manager from console using copy of FLEXnet  Admin License Server directory

3.]

I met problems with flexnetadmin64_11.14 on some Windows 7 64-bit computers.

I suggest you to:

• uninstall FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package (your backup solution from step 2.)
  • create new clean Administrator account
  • login as new Administrator
  • install license manager from flexnetadmin64_11.14
  • check whether flexnetadmin64_11.14 package works well
    • if YES then you are the champion
    • if NO then return back to backup solution

4.]

You can remove system service using command sc from command prompt, for example:

• sc \\name_of_your_pc delete lmadmin_ptc

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

1.]

What Windows version is installed on license server ?

2.]

Creo 3.0 and older releases are able to communicate with FLEXnet 10.8.

I suggest you to:

• download FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package
  • stop license manager launched from console
  • stop&disable lmadmin_ptc service (if it exists)
  • check if Flexlm server for PTC service exists - if YES then you have to remove it before continuing - it is forbidden to install two PTC license managers using port 7788
  • make a copy of current FLEXnet  Admin License Server directory (do not rename it, only)
  • uninstall current FLEXnet  Admin License Server
  • install FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package
  • check whether FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package works well
    • if YES then this is your "backup" solution
    • if NO then uninstall FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package and start license manager from console using copy of FLEXnet  Admin License Server directory

3.]

I met problems with flexnetadmin64_11.14 on some Windows 7 64-bit computers.

I suggest you to:

• uninstall FLEXnet 10.8.10 64-bit package (your backup solution from step 2.)
  • create new clean Administrator account
  • login as new Administrator
  • install license manager from flexnetadmin64_11.14
  • check whether flexnetadmin64_11.14 package works well
    • if YES then you are the champion
    • if NO then return back to backup solution

4.]

You can remove system service using command sc from command prompt, for example:

• sc \\name_of_your_pc delete lmadmin_ptc

MH

Martin Hanák
NickPenny
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin for your patience.

1) Windows Server 2012 standard 64-bit with 32 GiB memory.

2) We are currently running 11.10.0.0  in the "rescue" scenario.  I could faff about changing from console back to daemon running but the whole object of the excercise is to move away from this so as to support Creo 4.

3) I'll try this when I'm allowed a window by the users/managers.

4) Thanks for the tip.

Martin

Latest update.

I moved the old FLEXnet  Admin License Server directory out of the way and renamed it.  I created a new administrator (Admin2).  Crucially, I removed the lpadmin_ptc service.  When I reran the installation it went past the "starting" phase and installed the new software, but then refused to load the license file.  To cut a long story short, the problem was that when editing the license file to set up the SERVER and DAEMON lines I had commented the templates out and added the customised lines.  lpadmin was being too clever by half, saw the templates and expanded them so that the file now contained two identical SERVER and two identical DAEMON lines.  After some more fun with locked files I copied the saved version in place, restarted lpadmin and at last it worked.  IE on the local machine is playing up, but from a remote Firefox I can see the web interface.  Even better, I can start Creo and see a license being issued. Smiley Happy

Thanks once again Martin

Martin

Congratulations 🙂

MH

Martin Hanák
bmüller
13-Aquamarine
(To:NickPenny)

Hi,

for anybody who stumbles over this thread. If your old License server is healthy you can just:

Just run the setup and follow this https://community.ptc.com/t5/Additional-Creo-Questions/Flexnet-Publisher-11-14/td-p/299308 guide.

After removing and adding the license file, setup will detect the old FlexLM installation and asks if it should update it.

Some seconds later the new server is running.

Ok and some seconds later the the new server is up. I haven't set Web-Server port to 8080 so it ran on 8090. Was surprised about the fast setup, initially just wanted to test it on the snapshot...

br Bernhard

Top Tags