cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How we can change the Creo versioned file to creo part file

Bhoopathy
4-Participant

How we can change the Creo versioned file to creo part file

Dear PTC Users,

How we can change the Creo versioned file to creo part file format. (After creation)

Let assume i have 50 files as in creo versioned file format. How we convert these 50 files into creo part file. 

Note:

1) we can control through save_file_iterations as false. 

2) we can purge the directory. (utilities -> open system window) or (windows explorer -> shift + right click -> purge)

8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Bhoopathy)

The versioned files are basically backups of your work. They have no value to you UNLESS your lastest part file is somehow corrupted or you want to go back to a design iteration that you have previously saved. 

If you want to remove the versioning, simply create a batch file that renames the files to remove the versioning.

A versioned file is still a part file, there's no need to change it into one.

You also already mentioned how to turn off versioning and how to purge the directory. Those are the two solutions to having too many files built up in your directories.

I'm not sure what you are asking to do, can you clarify?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

This goes way back in the gray matter, but doesn't manually removing the version extension make it a "master"?

@TomD.inPDX wrote:

This goes way back in the gray matter, but doesn't manually removing the version extension make it a "master"?

I don't think so, highest number wins I think.  If you open a file named thing.prt and save it, I believe it becomes thing.prt.1, or the next highest number if other versions are in that folder.  Next time you open it, you'll get the versioned file.

--
LinkedIn

Just tested this for grins...

If you remove the .1 from a part file and you save it, it adds .2.

Creo also opens the latest version automatically.  Of course, you can still see the un-versioned file with the tools option All Versions.

Somewhere in the library of things Creo there are templates that don't have versioned file names.

Never quite understood it.

However, I see a nice Pro|WorkAround^tm

How to keep your library parts from being over-written!

Just keep blowing away other user's versioned revisions when they show up in your shared library 🙂

A great way to maintain a master library. 

If a change is actually required to a library file, the new part/assembly should be submitted as a new un-versioned library part/assembly.

Back in the days of the config.win interface file, I wanted to make sure that our company config.win never got overwritten by a user.  The config.win would iterate just like a regular Creo (Proe then) file.  With a bit of experimentation, I discovered that the highest iteration that Proe would see was config.win.32767.  The next save would increment and add a - (config.win.-23768) but that file wouldn't load.  So I kept our config.win at 32767. If I made changes to the file, I'd save it and rename the new file with the ~ to 32767.

I just tested it with a part file and that limit still seems to apply.

--
LinkedIn

Nice bit of information for the Pro|WorkAround^tm crowd, Doug.  Thanks!

gleonard3
13-Aquamarine
(To:Bhoopathy)

Back in the old Solaris/UNIX days, I had a script called stripv that would remove all version numbers.  So for example I could do a purge in a directory then a stripv *, and end up with a nice clean directory full of non-versioned filenames.  Anyone know of an equivalent DOS version of stripv?  I really miss that capability.  I'm sure it can be accomplished with some semi-advanced batch file technique, but it would take me a while to perfect on my own.

Top Tags