cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Importing .dwg or .dxf

ptc-5051960
1-Newbie

Importing .dwg or .dxf

I'm importing a .dwg from Autocad 2000 intocvreo direct elements 18.1 so I can use the part outline to create the 3D model. For some reason, everytime I import it, CREO keeps assuming the dims are in mm. How do I get CREO to recognize the units it's importing are in. and not mm? It does the same thing with the .dxf. Is it an issue on how i'm saving it out of Autocad?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That didn't work either but i found the solution. There's a scale 3D command seperate from the unit option. That did the trick. Thanks for your help though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

So, i finally ruled out Autocad as the issue. I confirmed the units are in inches on that end so it is a Creo problem converting the file.

This is not uncommon even with other programs.

The easiest way around this is to change the units once the file is imported. Often, you have the option to convert the values (multiply or divide by 25.4) or treat the values as 1:1. I know this is the case with Creo Parametric but I suspect you have the option in Elements Direct as well. If not, you can always scale the imported features.

Pro Engineer works like that too with a convert option. Unfortunately Creo direct does no. I tried putting a scale factor in like you said and that worked for that part only. Once I bring it into an assembly with "normal" scale parts it is not sized correctly.

That is strange. Assemblies should always respect the part's units and "true" size. I've seen issues there too but normally only as a temporary thing while things in memory are still working themselves out.

Is this still the case after you save the import part; close the session; re-open Elements; create a new assembly; assemble the part into the assembly.

That didn't work either but i found the solution. There's a scale 3D command seperate from the unit option. That did the trick. Thanks for your help though.

Glad it worked out! Have a great weekend.

Top Tags