cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Is it possible to delete the extrude but sketch inside it will not delete in creo?

sbhattacharya-2
3-Visitor

Is it possible to delete the extrude but sketch inside it will not delete in creo?

Dear Creo Users,

I am recently trying to extrude a sketch I can do it successfully but when I try to delete the extrude, sketch will also delete unless you create sketch outside of extrude. But is any there any config option or some another option which will enable me to break the associativity of embedded sketch with extrude so that if the extrude is deleted sketch will remain in model tree??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yup - that is a good point.  You can have the sketch outside the feature if you think ahead.  However once you created the feature with only the internal sketch it is not extractable.  However, you can use my work-around to create a sketch feature, move it before the extrusion feature and then use that within the extrusion feature to replace the internal sketch.

2017-01-26_04h58_12.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Unfortunately no, it is not possible to extract the sketch when deleting a feature.

Best solution is to edit the sketch first.  Then File->Save As...  name the sketch.  Then set up a new sketch.  If you are inserted at the extrusion, you should be able to "use previous" for the sketch plane.

then click "file system" and open your saved sketch.

2017-01-06_10h25_33.png

The sketch will come in probably wrong scale.  you can place it anywhere, and then change the offsets to 0, and the scale to 1, then click ok and you should have minimal dimensioning to do.  It really helps if your sketch is already dimensioned mostly within itself and minimal dimensions are referencing items outside the sketch.  like - 2 dimensions.

as it comes in:

2017-01-06_10h24_18.png

Then after placing it and setting "||" and "T" to 0, and "[/]" to 1.  that's horizontal pos, vertical pos, and scale.

2017-01-06_10h24_51.png

After this, delete your extrusion, and your new sketch should match the old one.  It's a work around but it's the best way I'm aware of.  (we've been asking for ages to be able to extract the sketch! would be great, but as of yet it is still not possible - as far as I'm aware)

Thanks Christopher for sharing the ideas. I try it and it worked. Thank you.

Don't forget to mark Christopher's answer as correct for those who may search on the data base.

The answer of Christopher is a way to extract the sketch but are there any another way? In the upcoming versions of Creo 3.0 and Creo 4.0 I think it would be very helpful for the creo users if after deleting the sketch in extrude and revolve the sketch remains in the model tree. What do you think?

if you want the solidworks way..then select sketch and draw your sketch and then use the extrude or revolve option.

In this way the sketch remains outside the extrude or revolved feature but remains linked to the primary sketch.

if you edit the primary sketch the sketch within the extrude or revolve updates.

When need be you can break the link also.

Yup - that is a good point.  You can have the sketch outside the feature if you think ahead.  However once you created the feature with only the internal sketch it is not extractable.  However, you can use my work-around to create a sketch feature, move it before the extrusion feature and then use that within the extrusion feature to replace the internal sketch.

2017-01-26_04h58_12.png

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:ckeller)

Impresive !

Thanks for sharing your idea...

vdevan
14-Alexandrite
(To:ckeller)

pardon me , 

I still do not understand how to do it .. 

can you please add a few more screen shots .. 

The workaround - It's the correct answer for now. 

Suggestions for added functionality should be directed to PTC.  And this functionality has already been suggested many many versions ago.  Eventually it will come,

Top Tags