cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Moving a license from server to desktop

ptc-12327
1-Newbie

Moving a license from server to desktop

Hi,

I'm not sure where to ask this question. The license server for Wildfire and Mechanica is going off-line at my location. Is there a way to move the license to a stand alone desktop or to another server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
unickque
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Yes, you only need to install the PTC license server software (which is basically FlexNet) on the machine that you intend to use as license server. (This software is available on all PTC installation media.)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Ron,

Do you have commercial license or student edition?

The license is commercial. It was on a company server which is being decommissioned. There were several seats for Wildfire and Mechanica. I need to know if it is possible to transfer at least one seat of Wildfire and Mechanica to a desktop to run as a stand alone installation.

Yes,

License can transfer to a new server. You can contact PTC License management with old and new Server information (MAC Address) and ask to transfer licenses.

Thanks for that information. I also discovered a link on the eSupport Portal called "Reconfigure Software Licenses". It only showed a server to server option. Will this do the transfer from server to desktop as well if the source and destination MAC addresses are entered?

This reconfiguration will generate a floating license for your machine. I think during this process there is an option to define number of license to move to new machine.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-12327)

Yes, it's fine. A server is anything that can run the FlexNet licensing software and "serve" up the licenses.

unickque
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Yes, you only need to install the PTC license server software (which is basically FlexNet) on the machine that you intend to use as license server. (This software is available on all PTC installation media.)

Thanks to all for the information. I will take it from here.

Top Tags