cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Opening Auto Cad drawings in PTC Creo 2.0

ptc-5420404
5-Regular Member

Opening Auto Cad drawings in PTC Creo 2.0

Hello,

I would like to know how can i open Auto cad 2010 .dxf  drawing in PTC Creo 2.0 but not in sketch mode.

Is there any converter available so that i can convert .dxf drawing into PTC Creo 2.0 file format to view and edit drawing.

Thanks,

Feroz

9 REPLIES 9
ajansson
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5420404)

You create a new drawing and import the DWG 

ptc-5420404
5-Regular Member
(To:ajansson)

Hello,

But after importing drawing it will be in sketch mode right?

Is there any converter available to convert drawings created in AutoCad 2010 to PTC Creo 2.0

Thanks

ajansson
5-Regular Member

I'm not sure what you mean.

A Creo drawing is  projection views of a models or sketch vector entities. DWG is a vector format and when you import it to Creo you will still have it in vector format, no model is automagically created.

I wonder if AutoBuildZ is what you're looking for?

You import a 2D dwg/dxf and then pick edges from the drawing views to use as sketches to turn your 2D views into a 3D drawing. IMHO it doesn't save much time compared to just recreating the model natively but it is an option.

You need to set the config.pro option 

autobuildz_enabled    yes

Some helpful links:

http://support.ptc.com/products/packages/autobuildz/index.htm (all the videos are broken but 'Battery Cover' is available at web.archive.org)

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/data_exchange/autobuildz/AutobuildZ_Overview.html

http://support.ptc.com/products/packages/autobuildz/tutorial/

Creo 2 has multiple modes:

Parametric

Drawing

Finite Element Analysis

Which mode do you want to convert the DXF into?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Creo will NEVER be a good drawing editor for anything other than Creo parts/assy's (and good is a strectch for those in my opinion).

Try creating a new drawing, then in the layout tab, go to insert, import drawing/data. DXF - DWG are some of the import options. This is not the part sketcher but you will be using the sketch mode in the drawing. That sketch is not the same as the model sketch mode.

I've done this with some old files that were converted from old software. These drawings are NOT easy to edit within Creo but with a lot of brute force, you can make changes.

Don't expect it to work like Autocad, it is not Autocad.

ptc-5420404
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

Thank you for your reply.

Import of any exported drawing is a crapshoot.  There are a lot of import options to review to know what you will get.  Know that Creo will open a DXF or DWG directly into a drawing.  It creates curves out of everything.  I also sees "blocks" but doesn't know how to treat them.  Nomenclature is another crapshoot.  Creo will try to match the AutoCAD font but rarely does it look even close to what you started with.  If you have the option to export with something like "stoked fonts", you might get ahead, but know you cannot edit the text.

Bottom line; going from one CAD system to another is a huge productivity hit on your current drawing inventory in your original CAD system.  Even Creo Direct drawings to Creo Parametric drawings is a joke. Most companies just bite the huge bill for conversion to the new system.  This often requires regeneration of the drawings from scratch.

ptc-5420404
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thank you for your reply.

Top Tags