cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Plotting model 1:1 to printer

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

Plotting model 1:1 to printer

To all,

I have an assembly I am working on that is 35 inches wide and 90 inches tall. We have a larg plotter andI would like to get a 1:1 plot of what I have.

Can someone help me with any config option, or print option in Pro/E (currently using WF4.0) that I might need to make to be able to do this.

Thanks,

Dennis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I will try a few of these suggestions, and see how I make out.

I know, like I said, in my past job we were ble to print 1:1 3D models directly from Pro without needing to create a drawing.

I will now mark this as "Answered" as I think I have enough to go on from all of you.

Dennis

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Make a drawing and show the views at 1:1 scale to start.

Since you didn't say what size the plotter is, it may be large enough or you may have to make multiple sheets that are small enough to fit and then cut & paste them. Some printers/plotters come with drivers that will automatically segment the output into pieces small enough to fit.

David,

The printer holds roll paper that is 36 inches wide, so the printer is big enough to handle what I am looking to print.

In the past, at another company, someone had found out how to print 1:1 of models directly from the Pro/E window without having to make a drawing.

Dennis

However creating a drawing and 1:1 view is the most reliable.

But, if you insist, from http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=73007

"Now, if you want to print your 3D model, without making a drawing, then in MODEL tab of the PRINTER CONFIGURATION, choose MODEL SIZE(this is in the drop box under the PLOT). This command will plot your model at a pecified scale. This works only for 3D MODEL!"

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dschenken)

And then measure, measure, measure. Some plotting software/hardware will scale or sometimes stretch in one direction or the other.

Oh the days of printing full size parts for burning on an electric eye torch table. So much fun, so much fun. Manufacturing was pretty upset when the prints weren't true scale.

With the drawing, one can create a Witness square with dimensions, so the output can be checked for accuracy. Shooting directly from 3D model, not so much.

It's funny manufacturing would accept a tool (2D print) without sending it to inspection first. Serves 'em right. Also humidity can alter paper dimensions. It wasn't on mylar, was it? Did they blame engineering for getting it wrong?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dschenken)

We were required to verify dimensions prior to sending to manufacturing. They would burn one part and do their inspection on that part.

Yes, unless it was a one time deal, it was always on mylar.

and yes, it was always engineering's fault, no matter what.

You can add a sketch with known tick marks to verify the plot from the 3D model. But why? Managing a drawing view is so much easier even if the reference scale is modeled in a sketch (easier than sketching in a drawing!).

Every plotter has it's errors. I haven't found any recent plotters that is perfectly accurate in both X and Y. Some have compensation factors in the firmware, others have some mechanism built into the driver. Not sure what PTC offers. Back in Cadkey, I could compensate X and Y scale factors at the time of printing making trial and error very easy.

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I will try a few of these suggestions, and see how I make out.

I know, like I said, in my past job we were ble to print 1:1 3D models directly from Pro without needing to create a drawing.

I will now mark this as "Answered" as I think I have enough to go on from all of you.

Dennis

Top Tags