cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Positive Space

splante
2-Guest

Positive Space

How do I move a part into "Positive Space"?

I am trying to save the model as an .stl file for use with other software and get the Warning "The part is in negative space. Move it if the part needs to be in positive space for the rapid prototyping process.". I have tried moving the part around, but it appears that the origin and coordinate system move with it keeping the part in negative space. I also tried changing the options for saving a file as .stl, but nothing can be changed (see attachments).

While I'm asking, how did I get into negative space in the first place, and how can I tell whether I am in positive or negative space?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

according to the picture you need to move your object in +Z direction 4.70, that it is in the positive space. Use Part & Assy / Modify Position / select part / Translate / right mouse button in the viewport XYZ System / Z / 4.7 / Return / OK

But since it is only a warning, which can be ignored, you can leave it as it is.

See also

Regards,
Michael

I had saved, ignoring the warning, but the other software would not open the .stl due to errors.

I also thought I moved the part, but after following the sequence as you stated, the warning is now gone.

Thank you much

With modern 3D printing, negative spaces has no impact.  Some older machines and processors could not handle a part that was in a negative axis.

I would just ignore this warning.

regards

Tom

Creo Element\Direct Modeling 20.6.0.0.0
Top Tags