cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Purge - Rename Versions to .1

DamianCastillo
1-Newbie

Purge - Rename Versions to .1

I want to purge and then rename the file versions to .1 on a network folder. I need to do this to thousands of files in hundreds of folders.

Any ideas?

P.S. There used to be a purge utility with this option but I can't find it. I am not sure how to write the code for a batch script to do this.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Damien,
You can achieve this in another way. If you make a temporary subdirectory
to put these .1 parts and assemblies.
Then use the File/ Backup to save your assembly into this new sub-directory
which will copy all the files but put the .1 suffix on them. You can then
clear ProE memory and delete all files in the original directory and copy
back files from the temp directory. Sounds like a kludge but is pretty
quick.

You do have to look out for new files in the temp directory that are from
other sources that you do not want to change such as library parts. If you
have these extra parts then you need to delete them first before copying
back the remainder.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Senior Mechanical Designer
Tait Radio Communications
New Zealand
DDI +64 3 358 1093
www.taitradio.com

This is what we use:

[

Viva Dos Legos

You don't need batch script, Spekan Purge utility from Innotiv company would do the trick.

Damien,

The purge utility you speak of resides in the \bin\ directory.
It does not rename the file versions to .1 though.

Hope that helps.

Hi Damian,

I've just tried this using 'DOS' rename, and it's straightforward.

You could add these lines to the end of purge.bat, or a batch file which
calls it; or you could put them in a separate batch file.

ren *.prt.* *.1
ren *.drw.* *.1
ren *.asm.* *.1

HTH!
Jonathan

Sorry for double post - typing faster than thinking...

To cope with many directories, here's the contents of a batch file we
use to purge a chosen directory, and all directories below it. If it's
saved as purge_from.bat, then the command is purge_from dirname.

This is what I use also. Works great!

In Reply to Jurij Skraba:
You don't need batch script, Spekan Purge utility from Innotiv company would do the trick.

http://www.usginnotiv.nl/en/31366/uTools.html

Regards,
Jurij Škraba
Research & Developement Department for Hydromechanical Equipment
Litostroj Power | Production of Power Generation and Industrial Equipment | http://www.litostrojpower.eu
P Pomisli na naravo, preden se odlo?iš za tiskanje tega sporo?ila. Consider the environment before printing this mail.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I used Spekan Purge in the past for this and could not figure out how to download the program on their site.

Kelly Bryant sent me the first response by email with the link to the Spekan Purge website and I finally figure out where it's located.

The UTools link is what I had to click on and then sign the registration information. I then received an email with a link to the software section and there it was. "Spekan Purge".

For those who don't know me on these forums, I am a 17 year veteran of Pro/ENGINEER but have been moved up into Management and no longer have the time to participate on the forums like I used to. I really miss all the great people on here who are always willing to help.

The only reason I require Spekan Purge is to rename thousands of files that are already purged back to the .1 version. I wanted a fast way to do this and I used Spekan in the past but simply could not figure out how to access the software anymore. 🙂

You guys are great. Thank you again.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Just to be extra clear. I know how to purge and created my own purge script that I have used for years. What I wanted to do is rename the file versions back to .1 on thousands of files.

Thanks

OK I have a dumb question,

I downloaded the spurge program suggested below but I don't have a clue on
how to use it. I saved it to my desktop and when I click on it Proe opens
but now what? I don't see an option to purge or an additional button for
purge. It also doesn't open Pro with my config loaded. I couldn't find
any 'read me' instructions either.

I need an spurge for dummies lesson.

Clueless

Jurij Skraba <->
05/21/2010 12:04 AM
Please respond to
Jurij Skraba <->

To
Damian Castillo <->, "-"
<->
cc

Subject
[proecad] - RE: Purge - Rename Versions to .1

You don't need batch script, Spekan Purge utility from Innotiv company
would do the trick.

@Kimberly,

The file is actually a zip file. Just rename the extension from .3 to .zip and it will open with your zip utility. Inside the zip file you will find the actual program.

As a side note, I am looking into DOS Commands suggested because Spekan is doing something weird to the Pro/E installation. Now every time Pro/E launches, it says it can't find the start up program called "Spekan". I can't stand it when software does something I don't want it to do or understand what changes it's making. I am going to try and create my own batch script to handle the simple renaming I want. Just an FYI.

@Wayne Falco,

It seems like your script is what I am looking for. I assume the renaming works with sub-folders under the folder you launch the script in.

If this is true, I am wanting to launch your script on a folder that contains thousands of folders and sub-folders.

Will it still work?

There used to be a free utility I believe that was called "True-e
Utilities" that performed these functions easily for files outside
Intralink.

It would purge and rename all files, even in multiple folders.

I used to use it all the time before Ilink.

I cannot seem to find it anywhere now, however.

Vinson Loos

-

321-727-3672 x3409

Quick update.

The script that Wayne Falco pointed me to works perfectly.
I did install Spekan purge but I don't trust it because it's doing something to my Pro/E install and I don't like that at all.

Tru-e Utilities was something I used in the past and forgot about it. I can't find anything on Tru-e Utilities when I Google it.

I want to thank all of you but I think I will stick with script shared by Wayne Falco.

I have a utility called "PurgeIt" from the dim and distant past. This
allows me full control over what is being purged, from which directory
and what type of file. I too, cannot seem to find it now.

Top Tags