cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Reading in an Excel file into the Protab editor - error message

BobSchwerdlin
3-Visitor

Reading in an Excel file into the Protab editor - error message

One of my co-workers is trying to read-in an Excel spreadsheet into the Protab editor. He wants to use the point data from our CMM machine output and place the CMM point coordinates (in the spreadsheet) into a part file to compare the CAD data to the CMM output. The problem he is having is - when he reads the spreadsheet file into the Protab editor, he gets an error message saying, "Missing or incorrect file header". I don't have enough knowledge on this subject to help out.

Any thoughts?

Bob Schwerdlin
Sr. Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.
2900 Dukane Dr.
St. Charles, IL 60174 USA
630-679-1941 direct
-
www.dukane.com/us

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

There's a specific format required in order to use the file to create a point feature, you might refer to a point feature to get an idea. for one thing, I suggest just using Notepad rather than Protab, and it's a bit illogical to think you can import from any other system and get something immediately useful without some user intervention on the part of the user. I'm certain you can also find some useful information in both Help and PTC's support page.

Thanks for your input Daniel. I appreciate it.

Bob
FV
17-Peridot
17-Peridot
(To:BobSchwerdlin)

Hi all,

Bob, here is what to do.

While in part create a sample 'offset datum point' feature with a couple of points, zero values are fine, while in feature definition dialog box save data to .pts file. Open this file in atext editor.

Open your cmm generated point cloud file in excel. Make sure you have three columns with X Y Z coordinates. Save the file as the text file, tab delimited. Open this file in a text editor. Copy numeric data to the clipboard.

Paste the clipboard data into the end of .pst file. Save .pst file. In Pro/E, while in offset point feature definition dialog, import .pst file.

HIH.

Feliks.

In Reply to Bob Schwerdlin:

One of my co-workers is trying to read-in an Excel spreadsheet into the Protab editor. He wants to use the point data from our CMM machine output and place the CMM point coordinates (in the spreadsheet) into a part file to compare the CAD data to the CMM output. The problem he is having is - when he reads the spreadsheet file into the Protab editor, he gets an error message saying, "Missing or incorrect file header". I don't have enough knowledge on this subject to help out.

Any thoughts?

Bob Schwerdlin
Sr. Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.
2900 Dukane Dr.
St. Charles, IL 60174 USA
630-679-1941 direct
-
www.dukane.com/us

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Bob