cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Removing part from workspace failed

wbottis
12-Amethyst

Removing part from workspace failed

Hello, I am trying to remove a part from my workspace and it wants to bring the drawing with it.  I have already removed the part from the drawing, regenerated, saved.  The part still wants to bring the drawing with it.  Any ideas here?  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Have you deleted the model from the drawing or did you just delete the view? If you just deleted the view, the model will still be "on" the drawing. You'll need to remove the model from the drawing.

Another thing to check would be associations. Drawings associate to the models that are on them via a calculated association type. You may need to remove this association if it exists. Based on what you wrote, the remove task is failing because you aren't removing dependents as well.

Ty

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:Tdaugherty)

Yes, I removed the model from the drawing.  How do you check for associations?

The answer kind of depends on your environment and whether or not you're using WTparts but...

1. Locate the drawing in the workspace
  2. Right-click on the drawing
  3. Select Edit Associations

If the drawing has been associated to the model, it will look something like this: 

Tdaugherty_0-1601996324538.png

If you need to remove an association, you can select the object and click the Remove Association button. If you're using parts, this action will check the WTpart out in commonspace. You'll have to check it back in to finish the association change.

Here's some light reading: 

http://support.ptc.com/help/windchill/wnc/r11.1_m020/whc_en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/MCPR_EditMenuCADDocPartAssociate.html

You can also view associations on the Related Objects tab.

Tdaugherty_1-1601996503929.png

Ty

Also note that when you modify any associations, the WTP gets iterated. So the previous WTP iterations will still be associated to the model and drawing if any.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:Tdaugherty)

It appears I had a table in the drawing that was using a parameter from the part I was trying to remove from my workspace.  Even though I removed the part from the drawing, regenerated, and saved, there was still a link in the table.  This was not evident using the reference viewer and I deleted the entire row of the table to remove the linkage before I read this post.  It remains to be seen if this link would have manifested itself using 'Edit Associations'.  Note that this was a new drawing in my workspace that I had never checked into PDM.

You really can spend a great deal of time chasing your tail with this kind of stuff.

Its strange that Creo allowed you to remove the model with some parameters in the drawing table.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:manjunathrv)

@manjunathrv wrote:

Its strange that Creo allowed you to remove the model with some parameters in the drawing table.

Not really.  Creo doesn't need a model added to the drawing in order to reference its parameters.  All it cares about is the session id.  As soon as a parameter is referenced in a drawing, the form of the reference is changed to <parameter name>:<session id>.  Removing a model from the drawing doesn't have any impact on this link.  Views require the model to be added to the drawing, notes and tables do not.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

"Removing a model from the drawing doesn't have any impact on this link."

Shouldn't it?  Otherwise the issue I encountered will happen and a great deal of time will be spent trying to identify where this link is taking place so an obsolete part can be removed without taking the drawing with it.  Else, the reference viewer should identify the link so it can be broken?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:wbottis)

There is no reference viewer for drawings.  Windchill can see the link, but you can't see it from Creo.  We have a huge number of legacy drawings referencing things they shouldn't be.  Seems like most of these problems were caused by 'Save As' from Creo or Windchill (or possibly Intralink back in the day.)  It all leads to the joy of this: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS28858

Top Tags