cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Rotated axis

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Rotated axis

Hi all, i just thought i would share something just learnt this morning. Perhaps many out there already know this, but for those of you who do not, did you know you can rotate a hole axis in drawing mode? I wanted to create some angular dimensions rather than Cartesian, but was struggling. In the past i have just sketched lines, related them to the view & dimensioned accordingly. I thought there has to be a better way. I know there is a dtl config, radial_pattern_axis_circle that would solve the issue i had, but if set to 'yes' it becomes global, what if i only want to change one axis? Ok, this is what i found, show an axis for a given hole, in the Annotate tab select Attachment, select the axis to be rotated, you are then presented with some options (old menu manager, takes me back to 1996), bottom option 'Enter Angle'. Brilliant!! I have attached an image that shows my discovery. It won't change the world, but it just reminds me of how i still love this software after 19 years of use, how it still harbors secrets yet to be found.

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hey John,

Thanks for sharing this.  I remembered doing this back in the olden days (circa Release 14), but I couldn't find any reference to it, even in the help files. It is nice to know it still exists.

You can skip the arithmetic of calculating the angle by using EDIT ATTACHMENT - THROUGH GEOM - and selecting the axis of another hole.

The axis will even stay aligned even if the geometry changes.  Never realized it updated until I tried it just now...

Top Tags