cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Screen Capture Software

JWayman
1-Newbie

Screen Capture Software

I notice that the ZScreen homepage shows that development has stopped on this software.
Is it still a good bet for screen capture, or is there a later and better, free program?

Cheers,

John

John Wayman, C.Eng, FIED
Senior Mechanical Engineer
17 REPLIES 17
JoseResendis
6-Contributor
(To:JWayman)

Hi John,

The snipping tool in Windows 7 works very well. If you need something with
a bit more functionality, SnagIt.
Its not free, but not very expensive at all.

Best Regards,

Jose M. Resendis
Mechanical & Optical Engineering Center (MOEC)
Raytheon - Space & Airborne Systems (SAS)

"Great execution requires discipline"

Windows XP here, by the way...

John

Many different ones on the market. We use snagit here at the office low cost but very robust and versatile. But I have used some of these other freebees.

Hypercam - more for video screen capture but I think there is still screen capture also.
Photoscape - has decent screen capture and you can get it portable so put it on a flash drive and take it with you anywhere. Along with decent photo editing.

These freebees have decent ratings but I have not used.
ScreenHunter
PicPick
Gadwin PrintScreen
Photobie
XnView

Ron

I'm using v3.32.0.1 rev 1757 and it works perfect for me, never had any
need for an upgrade or other software.
So I'd say just try it and see if you like it. It's free anyway.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

There is also the Google Chrome app, Screen Capture. It will capture
anything on the screen, but you must have Chrome running to use it.
It's pretty basic but you can't beet the price, free.

I use Snag-it for most of my captures, do to it's annotation capabilities.

Steve

I'll third plunking down the $50 for Snagit. Annotations are nice and easy. That said, I haven't used the others in years now, so the freebies could possibly have all of the same functionality (though I do love the other tools associated with Snagit, not just capture.).

And, in a related subject, I would also recommend Techsmith's other product, Camtasia Studio, for desktop video (and bundle it with Snagit to have both). Though it's a little more of an investment.

Regardless, screen capture tools are indispensable as everyone knows.

Brian Krieger
Peterbilt Motors

I have to weigh in here as well. I used Snagit (version 8, I think.) for
years and loved it. Moving to Win 7 about a year ago caused me to look at
moving to another screen capture package (ver. 8 did not work well w/ Win7
64 bit) and I searched for an open source (free) utility. I tried many and
always found something I did not like. So, I dropped the $50 on the latest
Snagit and I can't live without it.

Custom Hotkeys for various types of snags (region, fixed size, text, with
cursor, without, video.etc.)

Annotations - customize them and save them for quick access and consistency

It saves all your snags in a searchable library for a history of what you've
done

It retains the vector format so you can go back to a snag you took before
and edit the annotations

Snagging text is really convenient sometimes when you cannot select/copy -
it also can select across multiple cells in XLS and lump all the text
together for a paste into Word, etc.

Snagging video is a great way to communicate designs - I set the region to a
small rectangle and the frame rate to really slow and choppy - it gets the
point across well, but creates a small file to email. No sound, I think you
need Camtasia for that.

It works directly w/ MS Office, so I can hotkey snag a shot that opens and
inserts into PPT automatically.

I use FastStone Capture. It's not free but is not expensive (~20 $). Application can capture whole window, subwindow, region (regular or freehand), screen or scrolling window. Captured data can be sent to MS Office application or to editor. In editor you can add some annotations or effects and sent to Word, PowerPoint or ftp. Portable version work perfect.
You can try this applications for 30 days for free.

Przemyslaw Michalski

For inexpensive (free with watermark) screen capture and video desktop capture try Screencast-o-matic.

Interesting, as I just received my email for FREEBIE of the day.

With Ashampoo Snap 5 perfect screenshots for presentations, manuals or the Internet are made in a jiffy.<">http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/giveawayoftheday/feed/%7E3/M-k0jPB34Mo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>
Posted: 08 Feb 2013 12:00 AM PST
Whether it’s at work, at school, at home or anywhere else, making screenshots has become an everyday task. With Ashampoo Snap 5 perfect screenshots for presentations, manuals or the Internet are made in a jiffy.
It has never been easier to make and edit professional looking screenshots. Let yourself be inspired by new innovative tools and individually edit your screenshots and videos. Even capturing menu trees is now very easy! The menu capture mode enables the user to quickly make a snapshot of multi-level menus.
The screen photographer is now also an absolute must-have for Facebook fans. The new export feature enables uploads to the social network. Just make a snapshot of the desired content, upload the result to Facebook and look forward to great comments and lots of likes. That’s it!

JMSCRA
1-Newbie
(To:JWayman)

We are using MWSnap freeware here. I am on XP

John M. Scranton
Manager Design Drafting
and Configuration Management
Ultra Electronics - USSI
4868 E. Park 30 Dr.
Columbia City, IN 46725-8869
*Voice: 260.248.3576
*Fax; 260.248.3509
[cid:image001.png@01CE05FD.E9BEE670]

Many have mentioned Snag-it by Techsmith, if you want strictly a screen capture tool with no editing, they also have Jing. I love it. But no editing.

Branden Loock
Precision CAD Solutions, LLC
branden@precisioncadsolutions.com

SpaceControl 3D Mouse - North American Reseller
www.spacecontroller-us.com

Jing is excellent. Quick. Easy. Free.
On Feb 8, 2013 4:58 AM, "Jose M Resendis" <->
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> The snipping tool in Windows 7 works very well. If you need something
> with a bit more functionality, SnagIt.
> Its not free, but not very expensive at all.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> *Jose M. Resendis*
> Mechanical & Optical Engineering Center (MOEC)
> *Raytheon - Space & Airborne Systems (SAS)*
>
> *"Great execution requires discipline"*
>
> [image: Inactive hide details for WAYMAN John ---02/08/2013 06:49:33
> AM---I notice that the ZScreen homepage shows that development has]WAYMAN
> John ---02/08/2013 06:49:33 AM---I notice that the ZScreen homepage shows
> that development has stopped on this software. Is it still
>

A few of my colleagues use Jing, but I prefer the opensource Greenshot (http://getgreenshot.org/). I've used it in XP and 7, and it is configurable to allow annotating or not. You can set different hotkeys for the type of capture you are wanting (area, window, screen) and the destination (clipboard, file, editor, printer, email, or any combination). I've used it ever since my company disallowed the use of Gadwin Printscreen (since its freeware version is only for personal use).

John,

I use Gadwin printscreen. Good for what I need and free.

Stefan

Just to throw one more option into the mix: I find that I can do everything I want by using the built-in Windows PrintScreen (for the whole display) or Alt+PrintScreen (for just the active window), and then pasting into Paint.NET.

This is a free image editing program which I find very easy and quick to use; it can crop, annotate (using layers if required), colour process (greyscale, colour replace etc), pixelate regions you want to obscure; and then save in all common formats.

Upon occasion I have a need to illustrate a set of menu options. To do this, I hold the alt key down, activate the menu with the mouse, and then, while holding the alt key down, hit the Print Screen button. This puts the window with its menu options displayed into the clipboard buffer. I then open PowerPoint and paste the clipboard onto the slide using options as required. From there, if I want a specific region, such as the menu options isolated, I use the Windows 7 snipping tool to grab what I want from the image in the PowerPoint slide.

This, of course, is for less professional graphics rendering that is used to help users through email.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Fellow - Engineering Design Process Development
Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne
Mechanical Design (MS: FB24)
Top Tags