cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Screen freezes periodically on random drawing in session since server crash

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Screen freezes periodically on random drawing in session since server crash

I work on two idenpendant computer systems at the same desk. About 4 weeks we had a server crash. Since then I have one of the systems were the screen will freeze on one of several drawings that are open. It is sporadic and annoying. I zoom in/out, pan, or anything and nothing happens. Other drawings/models that are open in the session will not have this issue. If I save the drawing, close and reopen, it is gone, but if I am working on my other system for a period of time and come back to this system, another drawing may have decided to freeze.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this may be happening on this one system and what may have triggered it (since the server crash?).

Thanks, Dale

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

After further investigation, the video card installed in the computer when purchase (before I got to the company) is not a PTC supported card. We installed the latest drivers for the card and for now the problem has gone away. Not sure why this started after the server crashed, but I am going to call this solved for now.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

The only server interaction I can think of directly is license validation. Where are your trail files written to; local?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

What are the extensions for trail files?

I found a new thing out by experimenting. When a model is "frozen" and I cannot zoom, pan, rotate or edit dimensions, if I "edit definition" on a feature, it forces it to go to a different screen and then it is no longer frozen.

I showed this yesterday afternoon to our outside IT guy. We was befuddled.

Thanks, Dale

Befuddling IT peeps is not difficult.

In my old 2000i installation, drawing would freeze on a regular basis. And if you got to far ahead of it by stacking up commands, it would crash hard when it woke up again. Never resolved it. I just figured it was the nature of the beast.

I always attributed it to the graphics driver... at the time it was a simple, approved FireGL card. Have you tried turning off the dual monitor and seeing if the problem still persists?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

When I said different screen, I meant - sketch or definitions - the moment when you see your screen "jump" for a tenth of a second.

The fact that it use to work perfectly is a real problem. This is typically a bottleneck in a not-found reference in the network chain. But what can be poling the network? Or the server crash may be a red herring... but then, what else has changed? Are there other functions your workstation relied on this server for and the problem is in fact local?

PS: trail files are TRAIL.TXT.<nnn>

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

It looks like the trail files are local to both individual computers.

I've also been following the discussion on trail files.

Do you have a link that you could share as to there purpose/function?

See what you task manager is doing during the freeze. See where the CPU, network and memory cycles are being allocated to. You can even turn on some advanced monitoring functions (which is what I would expect the IT guy to be doing!).

Dale,

When you said the server crashed, are you referring to the license server, or are you referring to an Intralink/PDMLink Server?

If it is an Intralink/PDMLink Environment, you proabably need to clear your local Cache after you have uploaded all your local work.

If not a Windchill Environment, then you might want to look at the health of the Hard Disk.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:DHLewis)

It was a network server that had a hard crash - no computer for over a week - hard to do cad.

No windchill (wind burn - right Frank S. ) here. Just lonely ole me on two separate computers at one desk.

Health of the Hard drive? The individual computers hard drive?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

After further investigation, the video card installed in the computer when purchase (before I got to the company) is not a PTC supported card. We installed the latest drivers for the card and for now the problem has gone away. Not sure why this started after the server crashed, but I am going to call this solved for now.

Glad you got it working again, Dale. I know how frustrating that can be.

Top Tags