I'm trying to set up a rule for a layer to search for parts in my assembly that have an "integer" parameter called "BOM_OBJECT_TYPE" with a value of "40" and automatically put them on that layer. Now, I notice that Pro/E changes the capitalization of things like that to "Bom_Object_Type". Anyways, even if I just use the search tool, as shown below, it doesn't find any components. In other words, this search "attribute" does not seem to work.
You didn't show how BOM_OBJECT_TYPE was set up in the search. There is a difference between a component parameter and a part parameter. Having BOM_OBJECT_TYPE at the part level would return no result if you have the search set to look for component. At the assembly level open the Parameters dialog box and look at the options in the drop down list and look at the difference between the part and component levels.
BOM_OBJECT_TYPE is a parameter in all of our parts, and assemblies that's used in our BOM repeat regions. "Component level" is an interesting angle, I'll look into that. Thanks!
EDIT: Hmmmm, just tried that......but it didn't work either.
Here is a look at what I get in WF5 although from your picture it looks like you are using a different version. The first two show what I get when setting BOM_OBJECT_TYPE at the part level:
I then added BOM_OBJECT_TYPE at the component level, ran the search again, and created a layer:
I was also able to add the component parameter to other parts and have the layer update:
The only problem I saw was if you delete the component parameter the value of the parameter when it is deleted is still associated with the component. So if you wanted to delete the component parameter and have it removed from the layer it didn't happen. If you are only searching for parts you should be able to search by part instead of component so your searching for the parameter at the part level. If you also want to add assemblies there doesn't seem to be a way to search for it and get what you're looking for unless the parameter is at the component level.
I managed to get it to work by simply removing the "part" filter criteria and use just the parameter value. In going thru all the layers with rules I'm setting up in ou start models, and I'm seeing some REALLY inconsistant behavior. Some combinations I can get to work with regards to SOME features, and not others. I can't get copied (surfaces) geometry to go on a layer correctly, and other issues. It works great in some instances, and in some it's really buggy if not impossible to get what you want. Weird, but not that surprising......
BTW, we're on WF4. I wish we could stay on it, but............