cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

The 32 Gb memory limit has gone

ehaenen
4-Participant

The 32 Gb memory limit has gone

We know that for Creo-Simulate, there was a limit in the memory that can be addressed. This was independent of the physical memory in the computer, or swapspace, or solram.

If an analysis needed more than 32 Gb, the analysis would stop with an error message

We had a discussion about it on this forum in may tyhis year (with Jonathanan, Patrick, Steven, Gunter, David)

I am please to be able to tell you that the limit has been moved.

After switching to Creo 3.0, M060 I ran an analysis which used 40 Gb (which would simply not have completed in Creo 2.0)

45961 solid elements, 10 contacts, elasto-plastic analysis with 46 output steps:

Analysis "Hefboom_finesmesh_bigmemoryjob" Completed  (08:44:04)

------------------------------------------------------------

Memory and Disk Usage:

Machine Type: Windows 7 64 Service Pack 1

RAM Allocation for Solver (megabytes): 512.0

Total Elapsed Time (seconds): 54376.72

Total CPU Time    (seconds): 71162.71

Maximum Memory Usage (kilobytes): 40571058   that's 40 Gb

Working Directory Disk Usage (kilobytes): 4847616

I do not know where the new limit is.

I hope PTC will tell us.

regards

Erik

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:ehaenen)

Creo Simulate Structure Version P-10-27:spg

Summary for Design Study "Analysis1"

Thu Mar 05, 2015 07:41:10

Springs: 156

Masses: 0

Beams: 76

Shells: 22302

Solids: 245498

Elements: 268032

Description:

REF7 - first 100 modes (and hope we don't run out of d

isk)

Modal Analysis "Analysis1":

Machine Type: Windows 7 64 Service Pack 1

RAM Allocation for Solver (megabytes): 16384.0

Total Elapsed Time (seconds): 62761.70 

Total CPU Time (seconds): 28772.04 

Maximum Memory Usage (kilobytes): 69400130 

Working Directory Disk Usage (kilobytes): 29021178

Creo2.0 M100

It was one of those studies that simply had to be big.

ehaenen
4-Participant
(To:346gnu)

Wow! 69 Gb

So it was there in Creo 2.0 M100, I still run M010 for Creo 2.0 that would definitely not have used 69 Gb

Has anyone reached even more?

Where's the new limit?

ehaenen
4-Participant

Hi Steven

In this case it doesn't seem to matter how much you allocate (I left it at default). It just took it.

ehaenen
4-Participant

Steven

i see your point, it is not possible to set solram to a higher value then 16384.

But that is not the issue here.

Until recently, when you had a really big model, the minimum required amount of RAM for the analysis could be more than 32 Gb.

In that case the analysis would not finish, the job would run until 32 Gb of RAM was in use and then stop with an error message. This was not influenced by the solram setting, you simply would get no results.

Now (Creo 2.0 M100 and Creo 3.0 M060) it can be seen that Simulate can  go beyond that point. My latest analysis has allocated, acquired and  used 60 Gbyte of RAM, the one Charles simpson did even 66Gbyte. RAM that is.

The solram setting does not change this.

We've lost a limiting factor. We can now run bigger models. Period.

I would like to hear what PTC can tell us about that, Gunther Are you reading in?

Erik

346gnu
12-Amethyst

It would be nice to finally lay the question of exactly how memory is used firmly to rest.

Top Tags