cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

To OpenGL or not to OpenGL...that is the question.

DeanLong
10-Marble

To OpenGL or not to OpenGL...that is the question.

Okay, found out this morning that my laptop graphics are not able to run Creo2 past build M080. I have been running M050 for the past year just fine. (This is part of my recent download debacle updating from M050)

I have found however that if OpenGL is disabledI can run the latest version of Creo, n this case M100. I opened a few models, spun them around and they seem fine.

Question is: If I commit to M100 with OpenGL disabled, am I setting myself up for a big landmine later on? In other words, are out of the box graphics powerful enough now to run without having to depend n OpenGL?

What say you?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

You didn't mention it, but have you checked for a newer version of the OpenGL driver?

x

Ah, yes....the inevitable "next" question....what about a driver upgrade. My particular graphics "card" is built in to the motherboard and, according to HP, cannot be upgraded. Does this sound correct to you? I mean I understand hard written cose and all, but a driver version that cannot be updated?

Face it. You've been needing a new laptop and now this opportunity has presented itself.

If you want to know for sure, check the used prices for the laptop you have. If you can buy a replacement for under $200 or you can't find it at all, that's a certain clue that it's time for a new one.

With the joy that Win 8.x has been, have a look at all the Win 7 units coming off lease.

x

OpenGL speeds up 3D graphics by factors. There are other systems that
do the same, but as far as I know, Creo does not support any of the
other ones.

While it may seem that your models spin fine with OpenGL disabled, this
is probably only true for simple models. If all your work involves
similar models, you are fine. If you will be working with larger or more
complex models at a later stage, make sure to test how the laptop
handels those before you commit to it.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

David Schenken....I just did that! I bought two new Win7 machines about 10 months ago. Now I am faced with the dilema whether or not to go and buy another set of machines to stay up with the build codes. I may just run M080 for all it's worth for as long as I can. A couple of our customers drive the release updates / build codesfor me.

Top Tags