cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

What's the difference between opengl and win32_gdi graphics settings

sf
2-Guest
2-Guest

What's the difference between opengl and win32_gdi graphics settings

If I set GRAPHICS OPENGL in config.pro the part or assembly will look great, mouse manipulations, moves, zooms, spins, mouse clicks etc..will work great lightning fast. But when I let go of the mouse, the part or assembly redraws itself bit by bit, line by line, part by part which is annoying, slow, and not the way it should be.

If I set GRAPHICS WIN32_GDI in config.pro the part or assembly will look great, however, now mouse manipulations, moves, zooms, spins, mouse clicks etc...will lag and be glitchy and take a couple seconds to catch up. But now, the problem with the part or assembly redrawing itself is gone and when I let go of the mouse the part or assembly instantly appears when the mouse is released, like problem gone...except for the new lag problem that is now present.

Does anyone know anything about this and why the two settings act the way they do?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Specs: proe2001 - same problem both machines.

Machine 1: windows vista x64 with 8gb ram, core2 quad Q6700 cpu, NVIDIA geforce 9800gtx graphic card 500mb video ram, built around 2008 maybe.

Machine 2: windows 8.1 x64 with 64gb ram, core i7-5960x cpu, dual NVIDIA geforce gtx980 graphic card 4gb video ram each, running single or sli, built in 2014-15. Smoking Hot.

All drivers etc....are completely up to date and the latest available for the given hardware.

34 REPLIES 34
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:sf)

VMWare Player is very good. I think version 6 is better than the current release.

But I'm rooting for you to get this working on Windows 7/8 x64.

sf
2-Guest
2-Guest
(To:David_M)

Thanks for this info. I'll do what I can, when I can....

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

I guess that virtual machine does not have access to full graphic card functionality (I mean OPENGL). Therefore ProE 2001 graphical response can be similar to situation with graphics win32_gdi set.

MH

Martin Hanák
ble-2
6-Contributor

I also have a problem like this, a few years have passed, has anyone had any solution yet?

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:ble-2)

I would suggest starting a new thread rather than jumping into one that is a few years old.

When you say "like this one" what do you mean? Are you using 2001 and a VM like the OP? What exactly is the issue you are having?

Top Tags