cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

You do not have the proper access privileges to perform this function.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

You do not have the proper access privileges to perform this function.

Our IT department has been fiddling about with our accounts and computers, moving us from one domain to another and applying a lot of new permissions settings that seem to be causing a lot of grief. One rather big problem I'm coming across is the message given in the title to this post. When I create a new file, like a part or assembly, and attempt to save it, I get the message:

"You do not have the proper access privileges to perform this function."

Since it's in the message window and can be "scrolled out of view", I could miss this bit of info and exit Creo without ever having saved my potentially large amount of work. Since I noticed it, I've been able to weasel around the problem by saving the new file to my desktop under a different name, renaming it to the actual name I have in memory, and manually moving it into the proper server directory. As you might imagine, this is rather tedious if I'm creating dozens of parts for an assembly, and fraught with peril.

Oddly enough, this seems to be something I'm only suffering with Creo. I can create any other file types willy-nilly with the windows explorer (text, excel, word document, etc.) Is there something special about how Creo (4.0, M040) saves new files that is giving me these problems? And, more importantly, is there a setting I can apply to prevent it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The final answer to this is that the command structure has apparently changed, or the default settings have with respect to file saving. If a file is new, hasn't been saved yet, Creo asks for the filename you want to save as. If the file has already been saved, and Creo "knows" where it resides on disk, it doesn't ask you for the filename. In order for a single macro to handle both situations, I had to change the default by setting

save_dialog_for_existing_models yes

This lets me make a macro that responds to the request for a file name with "OK" and works all the time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:KenFarley)

Take a look at the folder permissions for your working directory.  I'm guessing you have less than "Full Control".

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

Yes, I suspect this is something involving permissions, but unfortunately I find Windows permissions to be one of the most opaque concepts around. I've asked our IT people to look into it, but then again, their manipulations were what caused the troubles in the first place.

We use a shared file server which is where we all write our Creo models, assemblies, etc. Looking at the directory I'm dealing with, or any directory on the server shows 11 Groups or user names, all with a mish-mash of different permissions settings. I'll wager that there are multiple groups currently applied to my account and somehow I'm lacking the "Create" permissions or some such.

I guess it's a network problem but not a Creo specific one, although I can create new files of all sorts on the same directory. Again, Windows and its byzantine permissions really annoy me.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:KenFarley)

Just tell IT that Creo needs "Full Control" to the start-in (working) directory and let them deal with it.  🙂

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

I figured out what's going on, but now I have to figure out how to fix it.

The mapkey I use to save is actually doing a save, then a purge. On a brand new file, the command seems to fail because the save hasn't completed before the purge is called. This triggers, for some reason, the "You do not have proper access priviliges..." message.

I don't know how I'll fix this. I loathe adding delays or pauses or whatever in these types of things, because that is a lame band-aid that inevitably fails when larger files are saved and they take more time than the "hard-coded" time allotted. It's the classic "I've found the problem! Oh yeah, so how do I fix it? *shrug*" situation.

The final answer to this is that the command structure has apparently changed, or the default settings have with respect to file saving. If a file is new, hasn't been saved yet, Creo asks for the filename you want to save as. If the file has already been saved, and Creo "knows" where it resides on disk, it doesn't ask you for the filename. In order for a single macro to handle both situations, I had to change the default by setting

save_dialog_for_existing_models yes

This lets me make a macro that responds to the request for a file name with "OK" and works all the time.

Top Tags