cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

how to update Creo ???

gbon
1-Newbie

how to update Creo ???

Hi,

I'm using Creo2 M080 and I'm trying to update to M090.

So, I've launched setup and tried first option (install a new software).

Setup is made correctly but I'm still have M080.

I've also tried 2nd option (configure an existing software) but still again
on M080.

Both install seems to make something but ptc Creo common files directory
only contain M080 files.

When I'm trying again, setup doesn't change something anymore.

So, how to update Creo 2?

It seems to be a stupid question but I don't know what to do now.

Thanks for any ''update Creo for dummies'' advices.

GB

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Normally, you install the new build of Creo Parametric and it will be installed as new software and the old build remains. This is actually a very good thing and something you want. If the new build contains a bug that affects you greatly, you can simply revert back to the older build.

Never assume a new build is better than the one you currently have installed. Sometimes a new build will fix several bugs while creating new ones. You may have a build that contains bugs but does not affect you very much and the new build fixed that bug but creates a new one that causes some bigger issues.

I always keep the previous successful build of Creo Parametric for this very purpose.

I create a Creo Parametric launch script that allows me to easily switch from one build to another just in case I have an issue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BillChapman
12-Amethyst
(To:gbon)

I have seen Creo 2.0 install the files to C:\Program Files (x86) instead of C:\Program Files. Take a look and see if it installed in the wrong location and/or installed the 32 bit rather than 64 bit version.

Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01CF18E3.52C24560]
gbon
1-Newbie

Thanks,

However, I’ve tried both option for installing M090 but there are just M040 (since a long time) and M080 directories in common files.

When I’m starting Creo, it tell me it’s M080 revision.

Even if setup seems to update something.

So how can I update it?

Thanks,

De : Damian Castillo [
gbon
1-Newbie

Thanks for your response.

I’m usually installing Creo in c:\ptc\.

This is setup correctly when I launch setup.exe.

Parametric is found by setup.

However, it tell me M080 is updated with M090 but when I launch Creo or look
at common files, it’s still M080.

Thanks,

GB

De : Bill Chapman [ -

Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

ocorten-2
9-Granite

What I usually do is rename the previous install "Creo 2.0" to "Creo 2.0 M080"
And then do a fresh install of M090.
All in C:\PTC

Eventually I getC:\PTC\Creo 2.0C:\PTC\Creo 2.0 M080C:\PTC\Creo 2.0 M070etc.
Makes it pretty easy to switch between builds for testing purpposes.

Once I'm satisfied with the latest build I Shift-Delete the older version

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten | CAD/PLM Manager

Besi Netherlands B.V. | Ratio 6| 6921RW Duiven| The Netherlands
T: +31 26 3196215 | M: +31 644548554
- | www.besi.com

To: "Bill Chapman" <->, -
Date: 24-01-2014 16:19
Subject: [proecad] - RE: how to update Creo ???

Thanks for your response.
I’m usually installing Creo in c:\ptc\.
This is setup correctly when I launch setup.exe.
Parametric is found by setup.
However, it tell me M080 is updated with M090 but when I launch Creo or look at common files, it’s still M080.

Thanks,
GB

De : Bill Chapman [
Lohbauer
1-Newbie

I have also experienced the switched install location as Bill. Not sure what causes the change in destination folder though. We are installing the 64-bit version.

davehaigh
11-Garnet

I now start my process by installing the first time on Virtual Box, (From Oracle, Free).
I use a fresh clean virtual machine for every install. Then I gather all the required files, etc so I can do a scripted install. Which is detailed extensively in my presentation.
I don’t even install on my machine until I’ve tested everything out on virtual box first. Then I use the scripted install on my machine before I roll it out to everyone else.

I included some pages about Virtual Box in the appendix my Creo Admin 102 presentation.
Look at the email I posted on 1/16, subject line [proecad] - RE: creo_parametric_customization.ui location

There is a link at the bottom to download the presentation.

David Haigh
bfrandsen
6-Contributor

I always add the build in my path to separate different builds by adding this in this into the installer.
C:\ PTC\M080
C:\ PTC\M090

After installation I get this:
C:\ PTC\M080\Creo 2.0\Parametric
C:\ PTC\M090\Creo 2.0\Parametric

If installed in the default path only Common Files will be separate by build (Common Files/M080/...) but apps (parametric, simulate, etc) will be in the same directory.

/Bjarne
davehaigh
11-Garnet

One item I should point out about creating a separate folder for each build of Creo.

The Thumbviewer, and the Creo Agent are not installed in that path, and each are rev specific.

The Creo Agent gets its own rev specific folder, but the thumbviewer is installed in the same place for each rev.

You can disable the thumbviewer by renaming these files. This will prevent Creo trying to install it each time a different version of the software is launched.

<loadpoint>\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M<xxx>\install\addon\thumbviewer_32.msi
<loadpoint>\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M<xxx>\install\addon\thumbviewer_32_64.msi

If you don't want the Creoagent, you could also rename the associated .msi files in the same directory. However, that will cause Creo to not remember the last used workspace.

You can work around that problem by doing the following in your startup script:
* Del "%USERPROFILE%\creo_2_home\cache\PDMLink_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER\.Settings\active_server_config.fld"
* Echo f|xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\creo_2_home\cache\PDMLink_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER \.Settings\config.fld" "%USERPROFILE%\creo_2_home\cache\PDMLink_cache\PTC\ProENGINEER \.Settings\active_server_config.fld"

David Haigh
bfrandsen
6-Contributor

Good points, David.

I do not think I have experienced any problems with Thumbviewer and Creo Agent across builds, but playing safe is recommended.
I even use the same local Windchill cache area between builds with apparently no error related to it. I guess mixing releases is more critical.

Creo Agent is also needed if you are using Precision LMS eLearning linked with Creo.

/Bjarne
Top Tags