cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

instance accelerator

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

instance accelerator

Hi All!

Few years ago I decided not to use instance accelerators anymore - they caused unnecessary regeneration and modifications of instances and being inside of PLM I did not see the need for them. Last week, during TC meetings, I heard PTC making a statement that we must use the accelerators. I did not get a clear explanation why.

I would like to hear your opinion...

Thank you,

Dmitry

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi guys,

Indeed as I have stated in the TC session, that for most of cases of Family Tables usage - it is highly recommended to use Instance Accelerators.

Just to clarify, by no means one must use accelerators, but in majority of scenarios - they are to improve performance of retrieval, regeneration, etc. Quite simply - the very reason they were developed was to boost retrieval and update performance in assembly context. They hold important information like graphics, parameters, references and dependencies information that help the system load and update faster, that otherwise would need to load Master content of the generic and the instances involved.

I know there has been over the years some controversy around accelerators due to certain situations that were identified when their efficiency vary and performance may differ when using with Windchill or from disc (e.g. this article here) yet in other situations may not make much difference; as well as some bugs that were captured occasionally and fixed thereafter. By now this is a fairly mature and stable tool as many cases are long resolved (articles are available in Tech Support knowledge base site).

Hope this clarifies.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Dmitry,

I found an older document that discusses this topic.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=115338&source=tssearch

Can you put the statement you heard at the TC meeting in better context? Perhaps other users might help you weigh the pros and cons.

It was in the context of the imbedded graphics chapter to replace the current light weight graphics used today. I think the point was that the instance accelerator would hold the graphics chapter or something. Moshe Baum is who led the discussion.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi guys,

Indeed as I have stated in the TC session, that for most of cases of Family Tables usage - it is highly recommended to use Instance Accelerators.

Just to clarify, by no means one must use accelerators, but in majority of scenarios - they are to improve performance of retrieval, regeneration, etc. Quite simply - the very reason they were developed was to boost retrieval and update performance in assembly context. They hold important information like graphics, parameters, references and dependencies information that help the system load and update faster, that otherwise would need to load Master content of the generic and the instances involved.

I know there has been over the years some controversy around accelerators due to certain situations that were identified when their efficiency vary and performance may differ when using with Windchill or from disc (e.g. this article here) yet in other situations may not make much difference; as well as some bugs that were captured occasionally and fixed thereafter. By now this is a fairly mature and stable tool as many cases are long resolved (articles are available in Tech Support knowledge base site).

Hope this clarifies.

Top Tags