cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

AddStreamEntries failed (Access was attempted on a null reference variable)

cbaurand
11-Garnet

AddStreamEntries failed (Access was attempted on a null reference variable)

Hi,

I made a short simple code to call this method (AddStreamEntries ) in a test service and get this error when calling it:

ErrorCode(ca207d29-837d-4110-b096-a43f1299cee8), Cause(null), Reason(Access was attempted on a null reference variable.), Possible Resolutions(Remove the reference to the null variable within your extension code.)

var stream = Things["TestCBStream"];
var values = stream.CreateValues();
values.AddRow({name: "toto"});
stream.AddStreamEntries({values: values});

TestCBStream is just a simple Stream with a testShape which has only one field "name".

The output of the execute method (in the Composer, logged in as Administrator) says:

"Error executing service AddPermissionToSuperUser. Message :: Wrapped java.lang.NullPointerException - See Script Error Log for more details."

I tried add permissions to SuperUser everywhere, but it changed nothing. I read the article

Article - CS276163 (https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS276163) but it doesn't help me. 

Additional note: I tried AddStreamEntry, and it works.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks.
CB.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Finally, we discovered that the timestamp is the only thing required (with the values of course). For those who need help on how to use AddStreamEntries, have a look to the topic

https://community.ptc.com/t5/IoT-Tech-Tips/AddStreamEntries-snippet-service/td-p/533577

It will be very useful.

We also discovered that timestamp is very important in AddStreamEntry: if you call this service to fast (in the same millisecond), you will lost some entries. This behavior causes us a lot of consuming time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:cbaurand)

Not sure but perhaps you need more field information in your infotable to use addstreamentries (plural)

tbh I've never used it, and I've heard that different folks have had issues with making this work.

But I would maybe try using the createinfotablefrom datashape for type Stream first and then fill in a row of information, possibly add values for all fields.

@cbaurand ,

You'll need to use an infotable with StreamEntryWithValues datashape as the input to that service.  The fields are:

sourceType,
values,
location,
source,
tags,
timestamp

The 'values' field will be your infotable that has the row of data you want to enter.  The other fields are the stream metadata

Hope that helps

--Nick

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Finally, we discovered that the timestamp is the only thing required (with the values of course). For those who need help on how to use AddStreamEntries, have a look to the topic

https://community.ptc.com/t5/IoT-Tech-Tips/AddStreamEntries-snippet-service/td-p/533577

It will be very useful.

We also discovered that timestamp is very important in AddStreamEntry: if you call this service to fast (in the same millisecond), you will lost some entries. This behavior causes us a lot of consuming time.

Top Tags