cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Adding filter functionalities to sub menus

alenaromi
11-Garnet

Adding filter functionalities to sub menus

Hi,

I need a side bar which is used for filtering my details presented in the collections widget.I have used a menu for me to get sub menu view but i am not able to use the sub menu for filtering.I have attached the pictures below.

For eg: If I select LOCATION ,it'll open a sub menu with State,City,Site,and when I click State I need any form of widget like list/text box etc to act as a filter so that when I select the state a list of existing states are visible from which I will be able to select a state and the corresponding states details are reflected in the collection widget.

If not menus, it possible to do this using any other widget?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Like you said the menu functionality isn't very helpful here and so I switched to using containers and navigated by expanding and collapsing them and then added the widgets I needed.Thanks a lot for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @alenaromi 

Assumption: You mentioned you used a menu to display the filter until now, so my answer is based on the Menu widget.

1. Adding custom widgets in the Menu is not supported. You could perhaps use a complicated CSS to allow your widgets to be positioned in a menu item, but I have never tested this approach, and I believe it's too fragile.

2. The menu does provide indirectly the selected menu item. That is true only if DrivePageMashupOrBindToMashup is set to "BoundToMashupParameter" - the Mashup property is populated, or if you use a Data-Driven menu - the selected Row is set. Based on the selected menu item you can set visibility of groups of widgets (a panel let's say) that are placed just below the Menu corresponding to the Location search needs. I believe this can work pretty well.

3. Generally speaking the Menu is not really fit for situations where you require extreme configurability. It's good when you want to drive page navigation and it also accepts by default visibility of menu items based on User Groups. As a side note, I believe it's the only widget which allows this nice type of visibility based on configuration and not code.

For what you want, if option 2 is not good, the Collection widget is a better fit. You can replace the Menu widget with a Collection widget where you can provide names of Mashups that contain the widgets in any way you want.

It does require more configuration than the menu, but it is to be expected, considering its capabilities. Documentation is available here

Hi,

Like you said the menu functionality isn't very helpful here and so I switched to using containers and navigated by expanding and collapsing them and then added the widgets I needed.Thanks a lot for your help.

Good to know and thanks for sharing!

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:alenaromi)

Hi @alenaromi.

If one of the previous posts allowed you to find a solution, please mark the appropriate one as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others on the community.

Thank you for your participation!

Regards.

--Sharon

slangley
23-Emerald II
(To:alenaromi)

Hi @alenaromi.

If the previous post answered your question, please mark it as the Accepted Solution for the benefit of others with the same question.

Regards.

--Sharon

Top Tags