cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Alert history Stream Data

Sathishkumar_C
17-Peridot

Alert history Stream Data

Hi,
I read somewhere, Stream is used in Thingworx time based data storage purposes. Generally timestamp is the Primary key for the stream.
Alert History Stream will have the alerts which are generated by all things across Thingworx.
If two alerts generated by two different things with same timestamp, both the alerts will store in the stream or what? How will be the behavior of stream ?
6 REPLIES 6

Alert history it's a total diferent thing than Stream and ValueStream storage.

What you stand here won't be a problem for Alert History, alerts are thrown at Property Level not at Thing Level, than por the same thing, same timestamp you already can have more than one alert.

Alert history it's a total diferent thing than Stream and ValueStream storage.

If above mentioned statement is true then fine.

Thanks and Regards,
Sathishkumar C.

No it isn't. According to ThingWorx help:

In PostgreSQL and H2, stream entries are keyed by the unique key entries of the timestamp and source.

For AlertHistoryStream the source corresponds to thing name, and timestamp resolution is 1ms. So if you have multiple alerts for the same thing firing at the same time, then you may lose some part of the history in random order. We actually encountered this in the past, and it's easily reproduceable. Try it! On my laptop the latest 8.2.5 on PostgreSQL loses about 2% of alert history when I'm doing something as simple as setting/resetting alerts on the same thing in the loop. The ironic bit here is that the faster your hardware, the more data you may lose. 

Hi CarlesColl,

What about your view on Wintermute Point. And, how do you tell "Alert history it's a total diferent thing than Stream and ValueStream storage". Alert history stream also created from "Stream" Thing Template.

Thanks & Regards,

Sathishkumar C.

Well actually I don't know, I'm sorry, we don't use ThingWorx Alert system we have our own, was my fault to state something that I didn't tried.

Better you go and test what it actually does.

Thanks CarlesCol for your kind reply. I'll try as you mentioned.

Top Tags