cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Alerts not firing subscriptions

Janicen
15-Moonstone

Alerts not firing subscriptions

Good day community,

I have some alerts with limit values on the template level

Should the user need to change these limits there is a service that dynamically changes the alert limits for a particular thing.

Therefore the alert values on a thing level are overwriting the template values (which is fine). These alerts do get fired. However after getting fired they are mean to execute subscriptions, which is not happening. The alerts are not executing the subscriptions that listen to the alert property. 

Has anyone come across this issue before? Do you know why the subscriptions are getting ignored?

Regards, 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I
(To:Janicen)

It's potentially possible that your dynamic treatment of the alerts is breaking the link to the subscription.

Could test that out by setting a static alert into a subscription and see if that functions normally.

If so, this probably was an unanticipated use case and I would at least file a support ticket.

The only way then I think to make this work, might be to create a 'Dynamic Subscription' however these do not persist, 

they are only in memory and can't be seen in Composer, only through services.

The perhaps more 'standard' route, might be to have DataChange into a Subscription which then triggers the Alert which then triggers the Alert subscription

Or DataChange into Subscription triggering the actions you would do on Alert.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaiChung
22-Sapphire I

It's potentially possible that your dynamic treatment of the alerts is breaking the link to the subscription.

Could test that out by setting a static alert into a subscription and see if that functions normally.

If so, this probably was an unanticipated use case and I would at least file a support ticket.

The only way then I think to make this work, might be to create a 'Dynamic Subscription' however these do not persist, 

they are only in memory and can't be seen in Composer, only through services.

The perhaps more 'standard' route, might be to have DataChange into a Subscription which then triggers the Alert which then triggers the Alert subscription

Or DataChange into Subscription triggering the actions you would do on Alert.

Janicen
15-Moonstone
(To:PaiChung)

hi @Pai.  I tested the subscription on data change like you suggested and it did work.

I also realized that my subscriptions were getting executed by adding info loggers. I needed to configure my monitoring script log to show info level loggers. Next I identified an error within the service that the subscription was calling. This error is what prevented the system from displaying the desired output. 

After fixing the error within the service that gets called when the subscription is executed, I was able to see some output.

Thank you for all the suggestions, they did help to debug.

Regards,

nmutter
14-Alexandrite

Just to rule it out as it may have happened to me already: Is the subscription enabled? I've heard of people who create subscriptions and wonder why they are not triggered - but they did not check the "enabled"-box when creating it

Janicen
15-Moonstone
(To:nmutter)

hi @nmutter yes my subscriptions are enabled. 

I appreciate  the suggestion.

Regards,

Announcements

Top Tags